AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Okay.

The ending credits (after the encore One Way Out on Disc 2) is in Widescreen (don't know if it's anamorphic as I am watching it on my PC at work).

The "extra" interview is in Widescreen (though the clips from the concert are obviously cropped top and bottom from the 4:3 concert). Again, don't know if it's anamorphic or not and won't know until I get home with it tonight.

SO ... Why In The Name Of All The Mushrooms In The World Didn't They Film The Concert In Widescreen Anamorphic?!?!?!?!?!? I mean, as much as I like AK+US (Alison Krauss + Union Station) ... and their concert is High-Def video widescreen anamorphic ... Surely ABB fans deserve the same or better!!

Just venting. I need to say this to http://www.allmanbrothersband.com .

BeckWalls: Oh man,you were there?!!!Wow....

Quote:
Originally posted by lonwolf615
BeckWalls: Oh man,you were there?!!!Wow....
No, no, no. I wasn't at the concert at the Fillmore when the Brothers had their famous album recorded. I did see many of the groups listed on the schedule and have seen the Allman Brothers quite a few times when Duane and Berry were alive in the early days when they spent most of their time on the Southern circuit playing smaller venues. They would come on stage and play 2 hours straight, take a 30 to 45 minute break and play another 2 hours until the house lights went on. That type of jamming I have never heard on a recording but will never forget. To see Dickie, Duane and Greg trading off licks with a few drum solos in between was a lesson for any up and coming musician to admire. Those guys had a lot of fun. I remember Greg or Duane saying "People think there's a party after the show. We have news for you. The party is right here!". They were right.

Anyone with this disk (Beacon Theater) notice severe interlacing artifacts (jaggies), or is my system out of whack? My other DVDs look just fine. I haven't tried bypassing my DVDO yet, but I was just wondering if the fault was mine or theirs.

I'll report back after some troubleshooting on my end.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I see jaggies. I think the disk is below what we should expect in terms of DVD PQ.

I just listened again to Desdemona. Sweet!!! I never saw the ABB until a year or two after Duane and Barry had died, so I missed the "original" band. I wore out two vinyl copies of FILLMORE EAST and loved Elizabeth Reed. I suppose a purist might not like this band these days, but this is a great concert and a great band. Derek Trucks does a fine job on guitar.

I remember when, after I had bought a copy of THE FILLMORE CONCERTS, I went to a friend's place (he played some instrument -- cello or bass, maybe?), put him in my car, put earphones on his head, went to the Elizabeth Reed track, and played it for him. He had never heard it or ABB before. When it was over, all he could say was, "What was THAT?!?!" It blew him away!! He was a young kid, maybe 20 years my junior. I just grinned, like I had given him a winning lottery ticket!!

Just rechecked (ran the DVD output directly in to the monitor bypassing the interpolator) and there's definitely a video problem. Looks to me like a bad downconversion from HD, to less than 480 scan lines, then back up again. Maybe they forgot to include the odd (or even) fields? All the more puzzling since my interpolator's 24fps film mode light is on.

Sort of like looking at the picture through a horizontally grooved fresnel lens or grating.

Music's great, though, I'll agree. Wonder if they would consider remastering this set?

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Reading at http://www.allmanbrothersband.com or http://www.amazon.com or somewhere, apparently there are three "versions" of The Fillmore Concerts. There is the original record, LIVE AT FILLMORE EAST. Then there is the totally-remixed version put out as THE FILLMORE CONCERTS that I think brings out different instruments, as well as splices some of the separate performances (e.g., Elizabeth Reed starts with one performance, but seamlessly ends with a different one which the producer felt was a better second half). The "third" version is based on a person's report whose friend actually did a reel-to-reel tape of the concert those nights. He said his friend's tape of the concert sounds totally different from the released mixes and is closer to what the concert sounded like to those who were there. Wish I could get a copy of THAT to listen to!!!!

What is the deal with Sanctuary records' DVDs? I just finished a not-so-raving review of the new King Crimson DVD for poor quality (see the KC thread) and the new Allman Brothers DVD (on the same label) is itself as bad or worse in its own way. Both are, not coincidentally, on the Santuary label.

The video looks like a improperly downconverted PAL or HD transfer, extreme jaggies and shimmering. Non-anamorphic ("full screen" marketing BS - that's not MY screen, fella). The audio is very muffled and lacking in crispness and high end extension.

I'm going to have to look very carefully and do a lot of research before I buy another one of this label's products. Burned twice in one week... that's enough for me to declare a trend, and a bad one at that.

The funny thing is that both bands (KC and TABB) are both justifiably famous for their concern for quality and responsiveness to their fans.

How could this have happened? Is profitability so tenuous these days that the audience has to pay the (full list) price for sub-standard product? Or has the music-buying public gotten so used to MP3 quality downloads that the quality of commercial releases has been reduced to the lowest common denominator?

The musicians' performances in both cases are exemplary, and fully up to standard. The problem lies with behind-the-times technology and perhaps a pathological obsession with the bottom line (top-quality mastering equipment, after all, is expensive to rent and why should you if the guy down the street with a Pentium and a video capture card can do the job at 1/10 the price. Who'll notice? Certainly not our fan base).

Quote:
Originally posted by BeckWails
No Berry Oakley. No Dickey Betts. No Duane Allman. NO Allman Brothers Band! If you’ve SEEN the band LIVE with and without the original musicians then you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t SEEN the band with their original personnel I refuse argument.
hahaha! No slight against the former members but perhaps going to concerts "straight & old" has impaired your judgement.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Wakey
hahaha! No slight against the former members but perhaps going to concerts "straight & old" has impaired your judgement.
Straight? Who ever went to an Allman Bros. concert in the '70s STRAIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

I mean, after all, their symbol is a MUSHROOM!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Straight? Who ever went to an Allman Bros. concert in the '70s STRAIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

I mean, after all, their symbol is a MUSHROOM!!!!
You missed my drift.. Very few in the audience in the 70's were sober as it is today but if BeckWails thinks that todays lineup is somehow lacking, I was thinking that it might be the first time he's been to a concert sober.

Just so Derek doesn't buy a motorcycle...

As far as the CD The Allman Brothers Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival goes, it won't make you forget Fillmore East. But if you love hearing Duane Playing, you should go for it. I've listened to the first CD, and the sound is good. The performance is spirited but not as precise as Fillmore East. The jams, however, are fabulous, and are worth the price by themselves. More relections as I hear more of it.

The little souvenir booklet sure took me back.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.