AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allman Almost

862 views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  Shaded Dogfood 
#1 ·
 http://video.barnesandnoble.com/sear...an=60768834095

I saw this double DVD set at Best Buy today.

I mean, what more could you want? I.e.:

The Allman Brothers Band (minus Dickey Betts, of course)

DTS

3 hours of music

Well, how about ANAMORPHIC WIDESCREEN?!?!?! (And ELIZABETH REED)

No mention of aspect ratio on the box (that's a BAD SIGN), but a search for details turns up "1.33:1 full frame" at rottentomatoes.com.

Drat!! And just when I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

I did find out that their 1970 appearance at the Atlanta Pop Festival is now on CD, though, and will be in stores in 4 weeks:

http://epicrecords.com/allmanbrothersband/

Briefly excerpted (two songs, worth) by Columbia Records the following year, the multi-track live tapes of those two sets finally surrender the bulk of their treasures all these years later on THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND - LIVE AT THE ATLANTA INTERNATIONAL POP FESTIVAL - among the earliest full-length live recordings of them now officially available, and the longest from 1970.

Clocking in with over 150 minutes of music on two CDs - one disc for each night - and a revealing behind-the-scenes liner notes essay by ABB Tour Magician Kirk West, the live album will arrive in stores October 21st on Epic/Legacy, a division of Sony Music.

I saw them in 1973 (Iowa City) and 1974 (Kansas City) -- unfortunately after the deaths of Duane and Berry. And Dickey Betts solo in KC, KS. Wore out two vinyls of FILLMORE EAST.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the one that they put out a while back, and it's pretty good. They are a solid band that plays music it's hard not to like. And some of the off stage stuff was pretty interesting. Duane Alman has finally become the crusty black blues man he always wanted to be I think, and does a quite powerful solo piece in the studio.

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I have the one that they put out a while back, and it's pretty good. They are a solid band that plays music it's hard not to like. And some of the off stage stuff was pretty interesting. Duane Alman has finally become the crusty black blues man he always wanted to be I think, and does a quite powerful solo piece in the studio.
Duane? Then I REALLY have died and gone to heaven!!!!!

I think you meant Gregg! :)

Which DVD do you mean? I have that one that COULD HAVE BEEN GOOD (Live At Great Woods) but Sony cut the songs and stuck those interviews in a PIP in the middle of some of them. Grrrrrr!!!!! I want an unedited 13-minute DVD segment of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, 22 minutes of Whipping Post, etc. -- not 5 minutes and then a cut!! Double-grrrrr!!!!!

And, I think being married to Cher is what made Gregg "crusty." :D

#4 ·
As an old peach head,I have to say don't worry bout the aspect ratio-its about the music,and this is the finest this band has sounded since filmore east.Derek is increadible-he somehow captures the feel and magic of Duane's playing without sounding like an imitator.He's the most exciting guitarist I've heard in 30 yrs even if he doesn't yet have the technical prowess of Warren.Greg's voice has never been better(best white blues singer of all time IMHO).Check out Derek's solos on Dreams and Whipping Post,and both guitarists solos on Rocking Horse.I hate to say this but theyre a better band without Dickey=compare this to the Beacon cd from a few years ago.BTW,the 2nd disc has a long interview and history of the band that is priceless,and reading between the lines its clear the whole band wanted Dickey out.But anyways, I highly reccomend this dvd.If you havent already guessed,I consider ABB the greatest R+R band of all time(sorry Pete and Keith) and I'd probably use this dvd as even more proof of that than Eat A Peach or Filmore-its that good.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lonwolf615
As an old peach head,I have to say don't worry bout the aspect ratio-its about the music,and this is the finest this band has sounded since filmore east.Derek is increadible-he somehow captures the feel and magic of Duane's playing without sounding like an imitator.He's the most exciting guitarist I've heard in 30 yrs even if he doesn't yet have the technical prowess of Warren.Greg's voice has never been better(best white blues singer of all time IMHO).Check out Derek's solos on Dreams and Whipping Post,and both guitarists solos on Rocking Horse.I hate to say this but theyre a better band without Dickey=compare this to the Beacon cd from a few years ago.BTW,the 2nd disc has a long interview and history of the band that is priceless,and reading between the lines its clear the whole band wanted Dickey out.But anyways, I highly reccomend this dvd.If you havent already guessed,I consider ABB the greatest R+R band of all time(sorry Pete and Keith) and I'd probably use this dvd as even more proof of that than Eat A Peach or Filmore-its that good.
I fixated on two bands/performers in the 1970s -- David Bowie (I bought and memorized ZIGGY STARDUST before most people had even heard of him) -- and The Allman Bros. Band. Get Miles Davis' KIND OF BLUE, considered to be one of most important jazz albums ever released, read the liner notes about how Duane Allman listened to it over and over and over again -- and then listen to Fillmore East and see if you don't hear BLUE's influence in the Brothers' music.

From what you've written, I will buy the DVD. I know about how they kicked out Dickey because of his drinking or whatever, and how he tried to sue to get back in. Sad story.

If you're talking about this Beacon CD:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I'd never seen it or heard of it before. It looks like Amazon reviewers don't like it too well. You say this new DVD stomps this CD into the ground, eh? This new DVD just came out yesterday ... how did you come to be able to review/judge it SO QUICKLY? Did you get a pre-release copy? Or did you stay up all night last night watching and listening to it?

What are your expectations for the 1970 Atlanta Pop CD set?

Thanks!!!!

#6 ·
their 1970 appearance at the Atlanta Pop Festival is now on CD

I was there! When I think of all the appearances in the Atlanta vicinity they were at that I passed at seeing because I had seen them so many times, I kick myself. Having this come out is like some amazing gift from out of the sky.

Now if the Hendrix family will release Jimi's Atlanta Pop Festival appearance including his jam five hours or so later with Johnny Jenkins (it had to be him up there in that purple spotlight!).

Procol Harum did a great set there too, ditto It's a Beautiful Day and the legendary Hampton Grease Band.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shaded Dogfood

I was there!
Track List

DISC 1 1. Introduction

2. Statesboro Blues

3. Trouble No More

4. Don't Keep Me Wondering

5. Dreams

6. Every Hungry Woman

7. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed

8. Whipping Post

9. Mountain Jam, Pt. 1

10. Rain Delay Dialogue

11. Mountain Jam, Pt. 2

DISC 2 1. Good Morning-Dialogue

2. Don't Keep Me Wondering

3. Statesboro Blues

4. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

5. Stormy Monday

6. Whipping Post

7. Mountain Jam

Looks like some duplication on the second day. Of course, their repertoire probably wasn't too huge at that time.

#9 ·
Quote:
I think you meant Gregg!
Oops, yes, sorry about that. I'm not speaking to spirits or anything.

Quote:
Which DVD do you mean? I have that one that COULD HAVE BEEN GOOD (Live At Great Woods) but Sony cut the songs and stuck those interviews in a PIP in the middle of some of them. Grrrrrr!!!!! I want an unedited 13-minute DVD segment of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, 22 minutes of Whipping Post, etc. -- not 5 minutes and then a cut!! Double-grrrrr!!!!!
The one I have is "The Allman Brothers-Band : Brothers of the Road". It has footage from two concerts, on in Gainsville and one from the Capital Theater. Although they probably on the DVD itself, the box doesn't indicate the dates of the concerts or the studio footage.

#10 ·
No Berry Oakley. No Dickey Betts. No Duane Allman. NO Allman Brothers Band! If you’ve SEEN the band LIVE with and without the original musicians then you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t SEEN the band with their original personnel I refuse argument.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BeckWails
No Berry Oakley. No Dickey Betts. No Duane Allman. NO Allman Brothers Band! If you’ve SEEN the band LIVE with and without the original musicians then you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t SEEN the band with their original personnel I refuse argument.
Well, I double-dog-dare you to say the above to the people at THIS Web site:

http://www.allmanbrothers.com/

and the comments of the reviewers of "Hittin' The Note" that they post here:

http://www.allmanbrothers.com/module...ent&page_id=35

Some people apparently feel that The Allman Brothers Band is very much alive and well!!! :D

#12 ·
They're still amusing, but I'm sort of on BeckWails' wavelength. Though their massive popularity (they were the #1 American band for a while in the early seventies) came after Duane's death, they have never been the same since his demise. His vision was a Jazz-Blues band from another dimension, not the goofy Southern Rock band they later became.

I count myself lucky to have seen them with Duane a half-dozen times or more. Rolling Stone rated him #2 after you-know-who in their list of 100 top guitarists, and for once they weren't just being their usual fill of snit selves.

#13 ·
The Brothers are awesome. I'll admit to having boycotted them since they tossed Dickie. I think I'll reevaluate that decision based on your comments.

#14 ·
Quote:
Rolling Stone rated him #2 after you-know-who in their list of 100 top guitarists, and for once they weren't just being their usual fill of snit selves.
Ah, the good ol' days when Rolling Stone was a REAL Rock alternative counter-culture publication. A folded-in-half, printed-on-newsprint very thick thing. Then, they added color to the covers and made it newspaper size/format (i.e., not folded). Then they went to glossy paper. Each change made it slicker and less what it used to be.... (or so I thought).

#15 ·
Quote:

I was there! When I think of all the appearances in the Atlanta vicinity they were at that I passed at seeing because I had seen them so many times, I kick myself. Having this come out is like some amazing gift from out of the sky.

Now if the Hendrix family will release Jimi's Atlanta Pop Festival appearance including his jam five hours or so later with Johnny Jenkins (it had to be him up there in that purple spotlight!).

Procol Harum did a great set there too, ditto It's a Beautiful Day and the legendary Hampton Grease Band.
If you went to those concerts, I know you inhaled.:)

#16 ·
S.D.:Was that the atlanta concert where they jammed with the dead?I remember reading they first fully realized how good they were after playing with G.D. at a festival in Atlanta..Just got an e=mail from their site saying I can preorder the cd as a member and get it before the street date,but I might wait-this dvd should hold me for a while.I guess that really shows how good I think it is.As far as not being the allmans without Duane,etc.I'm sure they all wish Duane and Barry were still with them.Allen Woody too,for that matter.But Dickey...Hey,I love the guys music,and I almost cancelled my tickets for their show that year when I heard he had been kicked out.But in hindsite,and for all kinds of reasons,I think it was now a wise decision.They were turning into a nostalgia act,or wose,self=parady,wheras now they seem to have the old fire back.

#17 ·
Okay. I have the DVD. I'm watching/listening to it (DTS for now).

Okay, so it's not widescreen and it's not the sharpest image I've seen on DVD.

The music and musicianship so far are great. Plus, about half the concert is their latest CD, HITTIN' THE NOTES -- so I can hear that album via this DVD (an album I haven't yet heard).

But ... who are those "old guys" with the pot bellies? And who's that guy with the neatly-trimmed beard playing keyboards?

How ... depressing!!!!!

Because that means I'm an old out-of-shape guy, too. It's like looking in a mirror and not liking what I see.

(Oh, well, I can always turn off the TV and just listen!!) :)

#18 ·
ALIENS:

I did inhale. Had I inhaled less, I doubtless would have remembered more.

lonwolf615:

At first I thought "The Allmans with the Dead in Atlanta?" Still, as I think back, it does seem that they may have opened for the Dead at one concert, though this may have been when Duane was down in Miami with Clapton recording Layla, and so it would have been with only Dickey. I have long heard of tapes of the two bands jamming, so maybe these may surface as the years go by. So much good old stuff from the vaults are appearing now... I know old geezers have always said that the music isn't what it used to be, but it isn't.

#19 ·
My brother gave me a copy of a mag(Relix?) a couple of years ago that was devoted to a history of ABB,That had something in it about them jamming with the Dead after a festival in atlanta.I still got it around somewheres,have to look it up.The same article also mentioned how spoiled people in Atlanta became seeing them so much-the author's first impression of Live At Fillmore East was that they were caught on an off night!So I guess you were one of the lucky ones...eweiss,not only do they do a lot of HTN,but the live versions are far superior to the cd,which should be expected I guess.And at least Greg's aging better than Cher...

#20 ·
"And at least Greg's aging better than Cher..." lol.

I had this dvd in my hands on Tuesday and put it back on the shelf only because it did not have Dickie Betts listed with the band. Based on lonwolf615's assessment, I'm now sorry I didn't buy it. I'll have to see if I can get it tomorrow. But, as for they won't sound the same, that would be my expectation. Someone else has already said it and I concur, that since Duane's demise they have never been the same. His influence was short but sweet. As much of an E.C. fan as I am, I believe if it weren't for Duane, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs would just be another rock album, IMHO, instead of the rock/blues icon that it is.

#22 ·
Okay.

The ending credits (after the encore One Way Out on Disc 2) is in Widescreen (don't know if it's anamorphic as I am watching it on my PC at work).

The "extra" interview is in Widescreen (though the clips from the concert are obviously cropped top and bottom from the 4:3 concert). Again, don't know if it's anamorphic or not and won't know until I get home with it tonight.

SO ... Why In The Name Of All The Mushrooms In The World Didn't They Film The Concert In Widescreen Anamorphic?!?!?!?!?!? I mean, as much as I like AK+US (Alison Krauss + Union Station) ... and their concert is High-Def video widescreen anamorphic ... Surely ABB fans deserve the same or better!!

Just venting. I need to say this to http://www.allmanbrothersband.com .

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lonwolf615
BeckWalls: Oh man,you were there?!!!Wow....
No, no, no. I wasn't at the concert at the Fillmore when the Brothers had their famous album recorded. I did see many of the groups listed on the schedule and have seen the Allman Brothers quite a few times when Duane and Berry were alive in the early days when they spent most of their time on the Southern circuit playing smaller venues. They would come on stage and play 2 hours straight, take a 30 to 45 minute break and play another 2 hours until the house lights went on. That type of jamming I have never heard on a recording but will never forget. To see Dickie, Duane and Greg trading off licks with a few drum solos in between was a lesson for any up and coming musician to admire. Those guys had a lot of fun. I remember Greg or Duane saying "People think there's a party after the show. We have news for you. The party is right here!". They were right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.