AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many different posts about how to allocate your budget for room treatment, audio, video, etc... My question stems form a need to figure out the video subset. I plan on getting a "real" screen for the room and am not including it in my "budget" for video. Nor am I including the DVD player as I have one already.

So, if you have "x" dollars as your budget, what is the percentage that should go to the PJ and what percentage should go to the scaler. I am still very leery of an HTPC and have already purchased a Panasonic XP30 for DCDi (perhaps that was done too quickly as it is not the "best move"). feel free to weigh in on this. I would not think that the actual budget dollars makes a difference in the split of percentages. However, if I need to provide a rough budget I can.

I guess what I am trying to get at is... What device (PJ or SCALER) is the more critical link in the chain. Obviously upgrading a shelf mounted scaler is going to be much easier than a ceiling mounted PJ. I have rambled on too long. Any pointers, rules of thumb, or findings are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
the projector should be your first concern

do it your self h.t. are not built they grow

a good scaler can be had for under 1,000$$

the quad scan elite

XANATOS

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
xantos,

Thanks for the reply. It amazes me what threads get 5 pages of responses and what get passed right up. I would have bet that more than a few folks would have been willing to toss their two cents in on this one.

Anyway....

I am looking very seriously at getting an EH 8500. Would something like the Quad Scan Elite do it justice? Again, I have no experience with these. I am coming from the world of RPTV.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
It's really hard to say. An Ehome 8500 could go for thousands of dollars...and should. I got mine for $650. So not really a fair comparison. In the world of used equipment, I don't know that anyone can give you a percentage based answer. In my example, I spent $650 on a pj, and have a bit more than that in my HTPC. Therefore, my answer would be about 50/50. This ration may not work for you.

I agree with Xanatos though...pick the pj and add the scaler that does it justice. If you get a pj that works best at 720p, kinda pointless to spend more money on a scaler that can do 1080p. Know what I mean?

BTW, I think the Ehome will work well with the QS.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Home theater is like building your first stereo. You should have spent the majority of your budget on speakers. Likewise your theater is for viewing. Therefore you need to spend the majority of your budget on what creates the picture. I agree with Xanatos. If your budget is small, your home theater will grow into what you want. Get the best PJ you can get. DYI screen you can replace later. Light controlled room. Cheap sound system that can be upgraded. You can watch sitting on bean bags until you accumulate the money for the comfortable seating. Do what you can afford but start with keeping the main purpose in mind.

Walt

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree, spend the money on the PJ. Don't worry to much about the scaler until after you have the pj. My scaler ended up costing much more then my projector but I found a good deal on a used pj. Did I buy too much scaler? Probably, but it matches up with my pj perfectly and I know I'm getting every bit of performance out of my pj with it. So much performance in fact my registration/convergance skills are the real flaw in the setup.

Most of the projectors out there, except maybe the very low end of the market, can throw a picture better then 480P. However, how much more varies greatly and even is dependent on how you install the pj and how much raster you end up using. This is why the HTPC works so well with projectors. It lets you dialin exactly the configuration that works best for your PJ. There are a couple scalers that give you this "feature" and I think it's important.

About progressive DVD players.... From doing a bit of reading here and on the Video Processor forum my understanding is that you will get a better picture if you let the external box do both the de-interlacing and scaling. If you are just de-interlacing then let the DVD player do it so it has the digital data to work with.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
If you can get an E-home 8500 that would be a major score and you will not be dissapointed (I love mine). Everything else is secondary, think of it this way, you can re-sell your DVD player pretty easilly but re-selling a lower model PJ down the road is not so easy unless you can find a local buyer you can give a demo to in person. I built my own screen and no-one who seen it has had anything but praise for the final product, about 100 bucks in material.

I also am very distrsutful of PCs in general and didn't want to build an HTPC at all. I finally gave in however and now I absolutely love my HTPC, It is extremely stable and quiet. The only problem I had was some cooling issues with the low-profile case, and this was an easy fix that required repositioning the case fan and this didn't cost me anything extra. the price for the whole unit was about $1000. , if your interested I can PM you the parts list. Otherwise start hunting for used scalers, I would not send lass than 720P to an 8500 IMO ;) . BTW, contact Curt Palme and get on his mailing list, he has a large selection of excellent used projectors for sale and is a highly respected member here.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all..

I have been on Curts list for a bit and have traded some e-mails with Tim, in Phx.

I do like the idea of the 8500. I have a budget of about $7000.00 for both PJ and Scaler. And should be able to do a nice set up with this. We are building a house and have a space all picked out for the room. I have my speakers already (Atlantic 370's in a 7.1 config), Onkyo 989 v.2 receiver, XP30 DVD. The rest is being procured or built out.

I has done some looking around and liked what I saw about the FE products in general. I had been thinking about the CS1 or CS-HD. I had not given the QS Elite much thought. Is it a better match for an 8" CRT? Or was I headed in the right direction? Still very leery of a PC in my theater!!!!

Again, I do appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You should take the time to actually USE the scaler you think you want before you make a decision. I've tried about a dozen scalers and doublers, including a Quadscan scaler and a Faroudja doubler. My personal preference didn't include EITHER of these, and I'm still looking for a passable scaler. If HD content would hurry up and get here, all this talk of scalers would just go away.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gn2
If HD content would hurry up and get here, all this talk of scalers would just go away.

Except now I want to deinterlace 1080i!

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Well, it sounds as though you've decided what the equipment will be, so just start with the best deal you can find on each without consideration which you get first. No one is of use without the other.

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
With 7 grand to spend, there's no reason you can't get an E'home 8500LC and a scaler. You can also build a screen for under $400 that's as good or better than a Stewart Studiotek...and that's paying someone else to shoot the paint on it! (about $200 if you can shoot the paint yourself) You'll never have to replace it if you do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
with a 7,000 budget to play with

i would buy a ampro 4600 9 inch tubed

lc projector between 3,000-4,000 you may get

lucky and get one under 3,000$$$

a htpc or quad scan elite

and last but not lest

a 10 foot diagonal 4x3 13 gain curved screen

from vutec

this screen will give you a picture

as bright as a 36 inch tube set

with out over driving the tubes

and no guys i don't work for vutec

XANATOS

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"and last but not lest a 10 foot diagonal 4x3 13 gain curved screen from vutec this screen will give you a picture as bright as a 36 inch tube set

with out over driving the tubes"

Why would you recommend a 4x3 screen in a 16x9 world? The room will only be approx 14.5' wide... and 13 gain!!!! Holy cow...

I like the idea of the 9" tubes but also like the idea of the quietness of the 8500 after the fan mod. I would really like to do the 9500LC Ultra but that is way over budget!!!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
i can't comment on Ampro PJs, but I rented some bootleg DVDs from a hole-in-the-wall movie rental place that were only 4:3 ratio. I found the 4:3 aspect ratio so dissapointing that I didn't even watch them all. There is something so much more involving and reaslitic about 1:85 or 2:35, and all the movies I've purchased are in this category. Can you imagine if human vision was only 4:3 ratio :( , driving a car along with many other things would be impossible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.