AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a Ebay auction for an Isco taking lense, and an Isco II projection lense, package deal. Could have got both for just over 2k, but my toddler son distracted me and I missed it in the final minutes. I've been searching for a good anamorphic lense for some time. Grrrr. Who on the forum picked them up for a steal? Alternatively, can anyone think of something that can possibly make me feel better?

·
Registered
15,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh285 /forum/post/20938290

Alternatively, can anyone think of something that can possibly make me feel better?

Maybe another person's similar misery?

Quite a few years ago, in full audiophile fervor, having heard them in several locations, I was enthralled with the incredible sounding but outrageously expensive MBL 101 omnidirectional speakers from Germany. These suckers:

http://mbl-usa.com/View.aspx/2101/mbl-101---MK-II

Now going for $70,000, back then more like $55,000. I literally went to sleep dreaming of how I could ever afford them (which I couldn't).

Then an audiophile contact let me know a rich friend going through a divorce was going to be unloading a pristine pair of those speakers fast, for about 1/5th the price. If I moved fast enough I could buy them before he put them up for bidding on-line. Hurried negotiations with my wife...I finally got the "ok" to spend the money, but by then he'd put them on-line! Damn!

So I bid for them on-line - doing my research about how to "win" on-line bidding. There are only so many people willing to buy such speakers and it seemed clear as the seconds counted down I was going against some other person for the MBLs. But I was going up in small increments, saving my "big bid" to suddenly leapfrog him in the last 15 seconds. Everything was going fine and in the last seconds I fired off my big bid, much more than this guy bid...and the software FROZE. My bid would not go in. Computer problem!

The other guy got the speakers. All from one of the worst timed computer glitches I've ever experienced! Pure heartbreak. That was the last and only time I would ever have a chance to own those speakers.

To top it off, I was so curious about my "opponent" who got the speakers that I got in contact with that member of the auction site. When I asked him why he was so interested in the MBLs it was clear he was well off, and he said he didn't know much about them but "liked how they looked." How would he be using them? His response: "I thought I'd put them in my gym to listen while I work out."

No. There is no justice in the world....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
No. There is no justice in the world...

Exactly. I'll probably not see the same deal again either. Guess I'll go with the zoom method for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/20938718

That wasn't a good deal, unless you needed the taking lens. If it makes you feel better.

Are you just making me feel better, or are you saying the Isco II alone is not worth 2k? Still a good lens though right?

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh285 /forum/post/0

Are you just making me feel better, or are you saying the Isco II alone is not worth 2k? Still a good lens though right?

Both. The now very old Isco 2 is a nice lens but it was designed for 4:3 to 16:9 expansion and to never be moved. It has 2 spherical elements instead of all cylindrical. Sells normally from $700 to $900. Often seen in Europe used. If you are looking for a deal on a new lens I can sell you one through/with an AVS special. PM for details. More than 2k but a modern IIIS.

Scott

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GetGray, PM sent your way.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I feel a little better now. The taking lens is very much in demand for DSLR movie making if you were wondering, and very hard to come by. I currently have two A lenses, a Panasonic 7200 and a Schneider. Both work, but with the short throw in my room, and flat screen, the out of focus areas on the extreme right and left of the screen annoy me.

The Schneider has a very crisp image in the focused areas. It has a focus ring and a fairly large aperature in the back. Strangely to have the entire image in focus with little pincushion it somehow shrinks the image inside of my screen edge.

The Panasonic has less of an effect on the image and not much pincushion, however the out of focus areas to the left and right are larger than the Schneider lens. The Panasonic has no adjustments.

They just don't work with my setup. Someone with a longer throw and possibly a different projector might have better luck with them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh285 /forum/post/20942391

Thanks Sean, I'll check that out. Maybe I can find an Isco III for not much more money

Thats what I keep saying about an Aston Martin I want.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray /forum/post/20938849

Both. The now very old Isco 2 is a nice lens but it was designed for 4:3 to 16:9 expansion and to never be moved.

Not sure why this matters? It's still a 1.33x horizontal stretch so also the same amount needed for going from 16:9 to 2.35:1. Works very well in my admitedly long throw (2.6 approx) HD350 setup with maybe 1" of pincushion over my 112" wide screen. I'm sure an Isco III would be even better (plus you can slide it out of the way without the image height shrinking slightly) but if you do get chance to buy one at a decent price, then don't right it off.

There's a thread over on AVforums about this Isco II on videogon and a couple of interested people...it might help for them that the seller is based in England.

PS. To the OP. I missed out on buying my particular Isco II the first time as I went for my dinner after making an offer (it was on AVforums so a bit different to Ebay as other buyers can see you offers in the thread). When I returned, someone else had offered full asking price so it sold. I had to wait nearly a year until that buyer decided to sell it on, so I quickly offered asking as soon as I saw the advert.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcclan /forum/post/20945887

Esnipe - no reason to miss end of auction. Fee of 1% offset by not driving price up until final 10 seconds.

1%??

Bidnip snipe is 50 cents flat.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S /forum/post/20945586

Not sure why this matters? It's still a 1.33x horizontal stretch so also the same amount needed for going from 16:9 to 2.35:1.

It would be fine for anyone leaving the lens in place all the time.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/20947388

It would be fine for anyone leaving the lens in place all the time.

Yes, but it could be read as if it wouldn't work for 16:9 to 2.35:1 so I just wanted to make it clear to the OP and others that this isn't the case as that's exactly what I use mine for. I don't leave mine in place if it's a 16:9 movie, so I have to slightly adjust the zoom on my projector to fill screen height.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There will always be good deals if you spend enough time looking, are patient, and enjoy a little bit of good fortune now and then. I just purchased a pristine 1 year old Schneider CineDigitar 1.33X, the matching Kino-Torsion motorized "slide", and all the requisite Chief Mount-compatible mounting adapter hardware (which were coincidentally for the same JVC projector family I own) from the Canadian av classifieds and forum site I regularly hang out at. The owner/seller included the original receipt from mid-Aug, 2010 for $7900. What was he asking for the package? Have a look here...

Of course this great deal now predicates the purchase of an appropriate new screen. So today I "paid it forward" and sold my 16:9 110" Vutec Silverstar for $300.

Happy Trails!

MTB Vince

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, I would have jumped on that deal as well. Great find. That was one of the lenses on my list. I've been struggling to keep up with all the listings I'm monitoring, but I'm so busy currently I'll probably have to stop looking. I hate to give up, but for now I'll be zooming with the new Panasonic AE7000. Anyone want to trade a lense for product development, or business development consulting ;-)

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
If anyone wants one, let me know. Schneider has that lens on sale regularly. But that's still a very good price on that kit. Note that you need a long throw and the right PJ for that lens. JVC's can work fine, if you have a long enough throw. It's a relatively small lens. Smallest of the cylindricals.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts