AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic AE2000 projecting onto an Elite Screen Manual Pull 92" Cine Grey Screen, 12' x 20' room. I've been pretty happy with it, still working great. Fan makes some noise now when you first turn it on, but after a couple minutes the noise goes away. Shelf Mounted, always wanted to ceiling mount, but with the LCD problems people were having with them ceiling mounted I left it on the shelf. Head is always in the way when you stand up from the couch though.

Anyway, current bulb is on 2700 hours now, and has failed to fire up a couple of times when turning on the PJ, so I imagine it will probably die before too long, though it is still nice and bright. Should I spend the $300 on a 4th lamp for this old but still working projector, or think about moving on to something new that I could ceiling mount and maybe get a bigger screen? How far have projectors come in 3 years? Would I be blown away by a 8700UB or AE4000 (or AE5000, wherever it is), or would they look about the same as my AE2000?

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
If you're happy with the 2000 for the most part, I'd stick with it and save some money. The new projectors in this price class aren't going to look much different than your current one. I upgraded from a five year old 720p projector recently, and in my opinion projector technology hasn't made much progress over that time. Maybe upgrading to a JVC RS40 or something similar would show a noticeable improvement from what you have now, but nothing in the under $3k will give you a significant performance boost.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melakion
I have a Panasonic AE2000 projecting onto an Elite Screen Manual Pull 92" Cine Grey Screen, 12' x 20' room. I've been pretty happy with it, still working great. Fan makes some noise now when you first turn it on, but after a couple minutes the noise goes away. Shelf Mounted, always wanted to ceiling mount, but with the LCD problems people were having with them ceiling mounted I left it on the shelf. Head is always in the way when you stand up from the couch though.

Anyway, current bulb is on 2700 hours now, and has failed to fire up a couple of times when turning on the PJ, so I imagine it will probably die before too long, though it is still nice and bright. Should I spend the $300 on a 4th lamp for this old but still working projector, or think about moving on to something new that I could ceiling mount and maybe get a bigger screen? How far have projectors come in 3 years? Would I be blown away by a 8700UB or AE4000 (or AE5000, wherever it is), or would they look about the same as my AE2000?
Hi Melakion

Wow. With 8000 hs, your PJ is going to fail sooner or later.

I have the AE3000 (1000 hs) and for 2 weeks, the AE4000 (borrowed from my sister). The AE3000 is a step up from my former AE2000 and the AE4000 is better than my AE3000: both steps gives you better blacks, brightness, color, shadow detail, sharpness. Not "wow" changes but enough IMO to justify the upgrades. Plus: frame interpolation and lens memory.

I'm waiting for the new "AE5000?" to make a move or maybe for a lower price on the AE4000, now that EPSON has come with new PJs.

Fernando

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
^ Exactly. Your projector is going to fail soon, and it's likely going to be the optical block that goes first, which is not worth replacing. Time to buy a new projector and keep the AE2000 as a backup in case the new projector needs repair/replacement.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Since this is the under $3K forum I will recommend the JVC HD250. The price is very good right now thru AVS. With this specific pj you are going to have a NOTICEABLE improvement on what you have now. LCOS, imo, is really the way to go (atleast for now)....inky blacks, vibrant colors, and great native contrast. It will be sharper than your 2000 also. Save your pennies and I will do the same so that I can get the HD250 also!

BTW i'm coming from 7 projectors since '97 and right now is the best bang for the buck I have ever seen.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts