AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have lurked forever and have a basic knowledge of home theater, so not quite a beginner. However, I'm not picky about sound currently, so nothing over the top is needed. Absolutely no need for these speakers to play music. Only need movies and sports.

Room is about 15x20, and current system is

Onkyo TX-NR616
Boston HD6
Jamo something center
Logitech computer speakers for surrounds (yes really)
No sub

All mix and match, so I'm thinking I want to either do the WHOLE system at low level (Polk probably), or just get fronts that are actually entry level and move the Bostons back to surround duty. Any suggestions on what to check out? I know I need to listen in person but I want to narrow it down a little. Total budget is flexible if you can convince me to spend more, but let's set a tentative top at $450 for now.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers with Dayton Sub-1200. There isn't much else within your budget.

I am more of a Polk fan than I am of the Pioneers but they aren't bad speakers. Besides finding a Polk Surround set-up in your budget would he hard

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Pioneers keep popping up. Is the matching center channel worth it at all though? I don't see as much about that as the fronts. Are they really better than comparable priced Polks? (amazon pricing)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The center channel carries most of the content during movies (hey, there's where the actors' voices come out of!), so I would get the best CC you can.

Go ahead and listen to some speakers. Once you find a (few) brands that you like, look for best pricing (try Accessories4less, Polk Ebay Store, Craigslist, AVS Forum classifieds). And have fun. :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Check out newegg for the andrew jones pioneers, the first generation, theyll be the:
Towers = sp-fs51
Center = sp-c21
Bookshelf = sp-bs21 or bs41 (41s are slightly bigger).

I just got all 7 for 309 and free shipping. Theyll be a little expensive now cuz the towers are 149/pr instead of 129 and a $30 discount promo in thr bookshelf 21s might have expired.

But, from what i have read... 4 of the 1st gen Sp-bs41s, the matxhing center, and a decent sub like dayton would do well. The 41s are slightly cheaper it seems than the 21s which are slightly smaller.

The second generation of these are the more widely reviewed, but they are more expensive, e.g., the second generation towers, sp-fs52s are 129 each. But you might also here want only the bookshelves.

In addition to the full 7 1st gen speakers, i went with a bic f12 sub. That dayton 1200 has been at 149 for a while now, so i spent 40 more for the f12 which appears universally better regarded than the dayton sub.

If you can wait til next week, i will all of mine set up amd can provide some some specific performamce feedback.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It looks like on NewEgg you can get the Pioneer first gen AJ towers for 150, and the center for 60, so 210 total; move the Bostons to surrounds, maybe even keep the Logitechs as rears or something. I'm not a big fan of the AJ speakers, but many are, and they are good for the price. Maybe look into the Sound Appeal bookshelves as well (though I have not heard them).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts