AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Berklines last week, I have 6 posters that need framing and hanging, then when I get my dimmers, I should be amost through, then I'll post some decent pictures.

photos.yahoo.com/harleyman1340

Then I've got to invite people over, feed them beer and burgers. Where does it end.

Dang this hobby is getting expensive. But it's so much fun.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Art,

I have a Marantz VP-12s1, the last flicker I saw was while watching the Mexican, the were some black and white scenes that made my projector flicker something terrible. I'm using a 100" Firehawk screen and a DTC 100 Sat receiver for the high def feeds. I was in Hawg heaven last night (Monday) sittin' on my big ol' Berklines watching High Def on HDNET, Showtime, HBO, CBS, ABC and NBC drinking beer and eatin' popcorn. Life is good.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I have to build a riser for the second row, anybody have any thoughts on the height?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Nice job. I especially like the recessed lighting in the tray ceiling. One question. I noticed you had sconces AND cans in the soffit. What is the tninking here? I was going to do one or the other but hadn't decided.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Harleyman.. Great theater.. We built our riser 8" and have never had any problems with 'heads in the way'. However, we have leather couches and they are not as high as your Berkline chairs. We have looked all over AZ for the Berklines (090 & 099) to 'test-drive' them, but no one has them. The search continues. Enjoy your beautiful theater. Ron AZ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Harleyman,

Very nice looking HT!

I've got two rows of Berklines (4 in front, 3 in rear). My riser is also 8" and I've no issues with line of sight from the back row. As you're building your riser, be sure to consider if you want to put some lighting on it (for a safer step down in the dark) or tactile transducers underneath, so you can plan for the wiring & placement.

One other thing to consider looking at your pics that I found to be an issue in my HT... The high backs of the Berklines are pretty big and if you position your side / rear surrounds behind the first row and your speakers are floor standing, you'll lose a good bit of the sound.

I've got floor-standing Definitive Bp2006TL's for my side surrounds on the floor and I plan to raise them about a foot on a custom box to get around this. My rear surrounds are up high on a shelf.

I hope to get a chance to take some decent pics of my recently-updated HT this weekend so you can visualize what I'm talking about better. Again, great job on yours - I especially like the lighting!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the nice comments, I really appreciate it. Most of the inspiration I got came from members of this forum and I just wanted to thank everyone for their input.

Bpape: There was no particular reason for cans and sconces, I wanted to have plenty of light for cleaning and maintenance of the equipment in the room, I just didn't know how much light the sconces would/will put out expecially after I paint them. I also have the cans in the back of the room on a seperate switch so I can see to change DVD's etc. (Getting old is a real bummer)

Somniplex: Thanks for the tips on lights for the riser, unfortunately I didn't make allowances for electrical circuits in this area, I was planning on a riser just for the area directly under the seats and that means I would have to run wiring along the floor which I don't to do. To help with that issue, I can leave the rope lights on in the trey for soft light without hurting the projected immage much. My speakers are on stands, the tweeter is about four feet off the ground. I plan on raising the speakers with a homemade stand where the tweeter is between 5 and 6 feet off the ground.

See, I told you that it never ends, now I have to add painting the sconces and building speaker stands to my list of things to do.

Harleyman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.