AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5000 and a 5500 series. One has an upgraded hard drive. The 5000 has lifetime. Both work when last I used them.

I think that I have the original small HD that came out of the Replay as well but I will have to look.

I have a custom rack mount from Middle Atlantic as well that could go with.

I was getting ready to just send them off to electronic recycling and thought that this community has been very good to me and I should offer them to your all.

I just want my costs covered. Might need boxes as the shippers are getting a little picky about using the originals these days. I have the original boxes and remotes.

Maybe I could just wrap the boxes and mail slow boat fashion.

I am in Alaska so the makes the shipping a little more.

Let me know.

Kevin

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 5000 and a 5500 series. One has an upgraded hard drive. The 5000 has lifetime. Both work when last I used them.

I think that I have the original small HD that came out of the Replay as well but I will have to look.

I have a custom rack mount from Middle Atlantic as well that could go with.

I was getting ready to just send them off to electronic recycling and thought that this community has been very good to me and I should offer them to your all.

I just want my costs covered. Might need boxes as the shippers are getting a little picky about using the originals these days. I have the original boxes and remotes.

Maybe I could just wrap the boxes and mail slow boat fashion.

I am in Alaska so the makes the shipping a little more.

Let me know.

Kevin
first ive heard from alaska:cool:---if nothing happens here try selling on ebay if uve the time and inclination. ive several spares so i cant take advantage of ur generous offer---d

·
Registered
85 Posts
first ive heard from alaska:cool:---if nothing happens here try selling on ebay if uve the time and inclination. ive several spares so i cant take advantage of ur generous offer---d
I also have a bunch of Replays, all in working condition with remotes, that I will give away to anyone who will pay shipping costs from Houston, TX or Naples, FL or if you're in either of those areas just come pick them up. I still like RTV's better than Tivo but HDTV has spoiled me and I've moved on.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I also have a bunch of Replays, all in working condition with remotes, that I will give away to anyone who will pay shipping costs from Houston, TX or Naples, FL or if you're in either of those areas just come pick them up. I still like RTV's better than Tivo but HDTV has spoiled me and I've moved on.
I'm in the Tampa area which is not far from Naples. I will send you a PM.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Who knew any one wanted them! So I sent them to recycle. I'll probably be banned from this section now. 2 of them were for parts. Shame on me! Bob
I can see recycling Showstoppers or 2xxx/3xxx series units, but the 5xxx/55xx series units are still so useful.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can see recycling Showstoppers or 2xxx/3xxx series units, but the 5xxx/55xx series units are still so useful.
They'd be even more useful if one didn't have to run a PC to serve guide data et al. (Putting aside LaHo.)

It'd be wondrous if someone ported WiRNS to run on the Raspberry Pi. Just attach that little RNS appliance to your network and you're ReplayTV-ready.

PiRNS?

·
Registered
357 Posts
They'd be even more useful if one didn't have to run a PC to serve guide data et al. (Putting aside LaHo.)

It'd be wondrous if someone ported WiRNS to run on the Raspberry Pi. Just attach that little RNS appliance to your network and you're ReplayTV-ready.

PiRNS?
That sounds good. Perhaps if WiRNS was in Java, like DVArchive is.

How much storage does the Raspberry Pi have?

The PC I have running WiRNS also does BIONC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/), so it's not wasted running it all the time. It's also running (sometimes) a VM that I use to test Windows 10, and a personal web server (as well a s DVArchive).

·
Registered
554 Posts
That sounds good. Perhaps if WiRNS was in Java, like DVArchive is.
Perhaps, but I was thinking someone with the proper skillset could focus on porting only the critical RNS and Guide Data functionality from WiRNS, rather than the whole package. For those interested in downloading, JIT, IVS management, etc., the full-blown PC-based package would still be king. (Though maybe there's an argument for including IVS management?)

How much storage does the Raspberry Pi have?
From 0 to whatever you attach, I believe. The main storage is on SD cards, I believe, but you can attach USB drives -- though I'm not sure if it supports USB 3.0. But storage wouldn't be an issue if sticking to core RNS/Guide functionality.

The PC I have running WiRNS also does BIONC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/), so it's not wasted running it all the time. It's also running (sometimes) a VM that I use to test Windows 10, and a personal web server (as well a s DVArchive).
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of those people still running Replays, who've already setup WiRNS, but more for facilitating setup of otherwise unused ReplayTVs for friends & family without any dedicated tech.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts