AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my shopping for budget bookshelf speakers (Budget of $400 favoring cheaper speakers) I've auditioned Polk RTi28&38, all of the JBLs at BestBuy, Infinity IL10, B&W 601 S3, Energy C-1, NHT 1.5, Mission M71, and PSB Image A/V&2B. Out of all of these, I think the Energy C-1 is tied with the NHT 1.5 for best performance. Add to that the C-1 is magnetically shielded while the 1.5 is not, the C-1 seems to be the clear choice. Price wise, I can get it for $299 retail, and $225ish shipped online well within my budget.

Any suggestions, comments, advice on this?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello Neuro

Not much to add -- you seem to have covered the territory pretty well. Perhaps the KEF KHT. Only advice -- make sure you audition as much as possible, always using the same music.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
kef cresta 2 bi-wire book shelf speaker

you can find rewiews on line

i herd them and was impressed you must here them before you buy anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I was in a shop that sold KEF but didn't have time to hear them. I think I'll go back and see how they sound.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I realize these slightly exceed your budget, but you may want to take the time to check out the Acoustic Research H6 home theater package. Crutchfield ( www.crutchfield.com ) has it for $599. These speakers are awesome for the money and leagues ahead of anything costing 2 to 3 times as much.

You get 4 speakers, a center channel and a sub. The drivers are very high quality. They are finished in piano black laquer (they even come with gloves so you don't get fingerprints on them when handling).

I am a long-time recording engineer and I was blown away by the quality of the sound this package puts out.

While they may be a little more than you want to spend, you will not want to throw them away any time soon. They will outperform everything in their class and a few classes above them as well. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Look at the Cambridge SoundWorks M80 bookshelfs for 450.00pr. Absolutely amazing sound. Next to the Revel M20's I would put them 2nd in the category of "Amazing sound from a little box" category. Look on www.hifi.com. They do offer a 45 day in home trial so might be worth investigating.

Mike

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'll have to throw in a recommendation for the Diva 2.1's Neuro. At $399 a pair plus shipping they're a tad over your budget point, but they are VERY nice. I'm thoroughly impressed with them.

During the last 2 months I've been auditioning various speakers in my home since I'm set on upgrading my older Polk Audio RT stuff. I've had and listened to Magnepan MMG's, Paradigm Studio/40's, Axiom M60Ti's and the Divas. My upstream equipment is a Marantz AV9000 pre/pro coupled with a Sherbourn 5/1500A 200wpc X 5 amp, complimented with a SVS 25-31 PCi sub. Out of the above speakers the Divas are my overall favorite, exhibiting fantastic imaging, detail and soundstage. They're even decent bass reproducers on their own, although I use my subwoofer for 80Hz and below stuff both in 2 channel and HT use. If I was strictly going for a 2 channel system I'd vote for the Maggies. Their detail, depth and imaging are just amazing. Unfortunately I found them inadequate in certain areas for home theater use. The Axioms are decent as well, but compared to the others I've listened to are a bit muddy in the mids and fatiguing after extended listening. They are good speakers but for me just didn't have any excitement. The Paradigm's were great imagers and sounded good, but I found them too bright and somewhat harsh in the highest registers.

To get to the point, if I had to pick out of these four (five including my Polks) I would choose the Divas without a doubt. Their sound is engaging, authoritative and full of depth. I look at them while I'm listening and can't believe the sound I'm hearing is coming out of such small enclosures. Throw in the price and their fantastic construction and it's hard to beat them in my opinion. This point is pushed constantly about the Divas but it bears repeating - their looks and build quality are *stunning*. Leaps and bounds above the other speakers in my list here.

At any rate, there're my two centavos. I'm actually waiting on a pair of Diva 6.1 fronts and a Diva C3 center (both currently on backorder) and got the 2.1's for my rear surrounds. I auditioned the 6.1's and they are incredible, but if I had to live with the 2.1's for fronts coupled with my sub I'd still be happy. I never would have thought that these little 2-ways would give their larger and better known 2 1/2 way bretheren such a run for the money. In my opinion they're certainly worthy of your consideration.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try to get to some more dealers this week for auditioning and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You might also think of going used. You can get Linn Tukans for close to $450 (see www.audiogon.com, for instance), and these are very good small speakers (and bi-ampable, if you're into that). And, they look nice in cherry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.