AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about ready to take the plunge, and buy myself an HDTV. It's come down to deciding between getting an LCD or a CRT. LCDs are more appealing, but I want to know if it's whats right for me.

I will be using my TV mostly for gaming, along with watching movies. I most likely won't be watching any television broadcasting. There are two models I've seen that I'm interested in:

Sharp AQUOS: LC32GA5U

Magnavox: 32MF605W

From what I've read, many people are happy with their AQUOS TVs, but I haven't heard much about the Magnavox. I would to see what people think of it, since you can get it for about $600 cheaper.

Anyway, here are the questions I have:

1) I'm getting an HDTV for the new consoles coming out, since all games will be HD. I have alot of older consoles though, that I will want to use via s-video (Dreamcast, SNES) and some using only composite (Genesis, NES). Also, I plan on linking my PC via VGA to play some older game with low resolutions. I know I can't expect the greatest quality, but how will these SD signals look on an LCD?

2) Is it worth waiting for 1080p? I want to get a new TV in the next year or so, but what's the likelyhood of 1080p becoming somewhat affordable in that timeframe? I don't want to sink $1500 to $2000 into something I'm just going to replace in a few years. I'd like to get 5 to 10 years out of a new TV.

So all in all, do you think LCD would be the way for me to go? Or should I look at other options? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i'll be getting the 32ga5u in a couple of weeks. You might wanna check out buydig.com price wise. Yes, do not wait for 1080p, its a lost cause right now. If you get an aquos, please tell me you are gonna change your mind about not getting hd service. Your only hurting yourself. In all, getting an expensive set just for resolution of games is a waste of money. Theres so much more you can do and you'll be glad you did. also, if you dont need to purchase your set right away, seeing as how the 360 isnt due out until november, you might wanna stick around for the end of this month into early september. The new aquos models should be hitting shelves at way better prices than the current models. For me, i already found a great price for the current model (mentioned above) and i know im really gonna need that extra dvi port when hddvd hits, plus a 12ms response time as compared to a 16ms response time is really irrelevant seeing as how 16ms is 60fps. good luck

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
i'll be getting the 32ga5u in a couple of weeks. You might wanna check out buydig.com price wise. Yes, do not wait for 1080p, its a lost cause right now. If you get an aquos, please tell me you are gonna change your mind about not getting hd service. Your only hurting yourself. In all, getting an expensive set just for resolution of games is a waste of money. Theres so much more you can do and you'll be glad you did. also, if you dont need to purchase your set right away, seeing as how the 360 isnt due out until november, you might wanna stick around for the end of this month into early september. The new aquos models should be hitting shelves at way better prices than the current models. For me, i already found a great price for the current model (mentioned above) and i know im really gonna need that extra dvi port when hddvd hits, plus a 12ms response time as compared to a 16ms response time is really irrelevant seeing as how 16ms is 60fps. good luck
Pioneer will have a 1080p plasma, with full HD resolution in June(approximate).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=566699

Hardly a lost cause.

Now whether it's affordable is another issue.:)

I do agree about HD though. Get it.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
i'll be getting the 32ga5u in a couple of weeks. You might wanna check out xxxxxxx price wise. Yes, do not wait for 1080p, its a lost cause right now. If you get an aquos, please tell me you are gonna change your mind about not getting hd service. Your only hurting yourself. In all, getting an expensive set just for resolution of games is a waste of money. Theres so much more you can do and you'll be glad you did. also, if you dont need to purchase your set right away, seeing as how the 360 isnt due out until november, you might wanna stick around for the end of this month into early september. The new aquos models should be hitting shelves at way better prices than the current models. For me, i already found a great price for the current model (mentioned above) and i know im really gonna need that extra dvi port when hddvd hits, plus a 12ms response time as compared to a 16ms response time is really irrelevant seeing as how 16ms is 60fps. good luck
I just don't really watch any TV. If I feel like watching anything, I usually just rent movies, so I guess this would be used for games/movies only. I don't think it's a waste really. I want to play games in HD, and its worth it to me to get a new set. The question is, whether or not I should buy a nice LCD or settle for a cheaper CRT. I just want to make sure my older consoles will look worse or not on an LCD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.