Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Pioneer PDP-433cmx Plasma display and have a question about hooking up my equipment to it. I will also purchase the Pioneer PDA-5002 video card for it. I am going to feed it a cable TV signal from my VCR (ATT Broadband standard cable) plus a progressive output (RGB) from my DVD and also progressive output (RGB) from my X-Box along with a S-video out from my VCR. I guess throwing a VGA signal from a PC would happen too but the computer does not have a DVI videocard so the output would be standard VGA. Now can this card (5002)support all these feeds? If not I have been eyeing a Inday HDTV (Y,PbPr) 4 - input to 1-output switch box which would let me feed it the RGB signals, but can the PDA-5002 still take the final RGB or do I need a special cable to split the signal from the Inday to the 5002? I'm becoming a pro on Plasma displays but the cabling is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for any assistance.

Doug

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If at all possible, you might consider adding a relatively inexpensive graphics card with a DVI port to your PC. It will be a lot cheaper than the component switcher. If you can't then you can use a standard VGA cable between the PC and Input 1. You will then need the switcher for the Xbox and DVD, into Input 2 on the panel. The VCR can plug into the s-video connector on the card (Input 4, I think...).

Alternately, you could get the TVP-1000 in place of the 5002 card. It trades the DVI for another RGB/component input and it also has a built-in RF tuner so you could plug the cable directly into it. It also has s-video so you could still connect the VCR and it has some nifty PiP functions. If you add the cost of the 5002 and the component switcher, you are getting close to the cost of the TVP-1000.

-- Gary

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary, Thank you sir for the reply. Not having the hardware in front of me makes the process on what goes where and through what a little difficult.

The Inday box retails for under $200.00 so I'm not too worried about price.

I have considered the other Pioneer plasma with the media tuner box but

the reviews here in the forum on that external switcher have not been too good.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I wasn't talking about the 4330 with the Sharp-provided MR, which I agree doesn't seem to do as good a job, but a different video card than the "standard" PDA-5002. The TVP-1000, from Aurora Multimedia, has the same basic functionality as the PDA-5002 but instead of the PC-only DVI input, it adds a third RGB/component connection. It also adds an NTSC tuner and a very complete picture-in-picture function.

Since this card provides the scaling/de-interlacing function (as does the 5002...) and it has the RF connection, there is a straight connection right into video processing from the tuner which should provide the best possible picture for often flawed analog cable tv signals. Anyway, this card is about $700, vs about $250 + $200 for the PDA-5002 and the Inday switcher.

Good luck! You are going to love this display!

-- Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.