AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing research for my DIY screen project last year. That got put on hold and i'm revisiting it now. I've lost most of my notes but what I did find was a recipe that involved some behr faux glaze, delta silver metallic and 20oz of distilled water. What's that recipe? And I wonder if things have changed since I made note of it.

My room is 16' wide. At the back of the room is the kitchen. It's 20' from the screen wall to where the kitchen begins. Then the kitchen is about another 18' till the side of the house. The only lights we have on are those in the kitchen and they don't shine directly on the screen but they do illuminate the room somewhat.

I currently have a 119" dalite HCCV screen. When the kitchen lights are on my contrast is somewhat poor but still watchable. It's better with the lights out obviously but I could still use better contrast. I'd like a brighter image at the same time. I've already taped off the new screen and it will be 145".

We are currently painting the rest of the room now and are almost done. Then I will apply some kilz2 primer to the screen area after I sand the texture off the wall. If all goes well I should be able to start spraying later this evening. I'd like to roll but I don't think with my skills that i'd get good results.

So I can go to home depot or lowes and pick up a sprayer today. I found some tutorials here on the forums for spraying and will watch those before I begin.

Any particular paint formula recipe suggestions before I begin?

Projector is a panasonic PT-AX100 and i'll likely have it for the next two years before upgrading to a 1080p hopefully LED projector.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
that is S-I-L-V-E-R

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the amounts, is this the correct recipe:

1/2g Behr Faux Glaze

4 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic

20 oz. Filtered Water

With a couple of coats of kilz2 as a base. This will be rolled on with a 1/4" nap roller.

The SILVER will be applied with a wagnar control sprayer(which I need to buy) with about 7 duster coats?

How much time should I allow in between coats?

I see there is a control sprayer and a control spray double duty. What's the difference?

Will that be enough for a 145" 16:9 screen?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the ingredients for S-I-L-V-E-R and then spent 5 hours sanding the texture off the wall. I never expected for it to take so long!

I'll prime tomorrow. Maybe start spraying tomorrow night.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,895 Posts
Be absolutely certain your watching a S-I-L-V-E-R video application.

I haven't posted many;

Try to get the standard Wagner CS. It has a smaller Needle/Nozzle assembly that works best with thinner Paints...which is exactly what S-I-L-V-E-R is.

If you get the Double Duty, use only 10 oz water and keep your speed up, and your row overlap at least 60%. AND DO NOT GO OVER ANY AREA MORE THAN WHAT YOU DO WHEN OVERLAPPING !!!!!

Always wait for a coat to dry before continuing or trying to even out a weak area. As for the latter, it's best to not even try that, but rather to just keep applying as consistent a layering as you can.

The first 2-3 coats will look like you almost didn't apply anything....so don't be fooled into over-applying.

The finish after 7-8 coats will look "Whitish-Silver".

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the double duty sprayer. It was the only one they had at home depot. I do have a height issue. I can't reach the top from the ground. We have 10' ceilings and it's a big screen. I also tried the 5 gallon bucket option of creating myself a platform and even that is not high enough. I have some chairs I can use but not enough. So this is going to be challenging to spray the top third of the screen.

I'm going to start priming in the next hour or so.

Also on the sprayer, should I be using a horizontal, verticle or round pattern? How should I just the material flow adjustment knob?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/18227110

We have 10' ceilings and it's a big screen

this is where my JEALOUSY starts to set in...
"good luck on your !?*#^%! project!" lol.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to build the frame on sunday. I was thinking of just using form 4"x1" boards. That work?

Can I use black velvet from a local fabric store or do I need special stuff?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well i've sprayed 4 coats so far. And because i'm spraying the wall I can turn my projector on at any time and test it. The image already looks better than my dalite HCCV. It's brighter and contrast is improved. Colors pop more. And to think I still have 3 more coats to go!

I have the sprayer set to do spray as little material as possible. It is very much a dusting and it seems to be working well. It's hard to even tell if the wall is wet. Can't see where i've sprayed. I'm using the larger of the two cups that came with the sprayer and i've filled up that cup once and that will be enough for all 7 coats. I wonder if i'm spraying too thin?

But how do I know when I have enough coats? Is there something i'm looking for to tell me that?

I'm going to get the 5th coat on tonight and then go to bed and get the rest in the morning.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,895 Posts
....I go to bed early for once and all sorts of things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/18232577

Well i've sprayed 4 coats so far. And because i'm spraying the wall I can turn my projector on at any time and test it. The image already looks better than my dalite HCCV. It's brighter and contrast is improved. Colors pop more. And to think I still have 3 more coats to go!

Sounds like the progressive layering is proceeding nicely.

Quote:
I have the sprayer set to do spray as little material as possible. It is very much a dusting and it seems to be working well. It's hard to even tell if the wall is wet. Can't see where I've sprayed. I'm using the larger of the two cups that came with the sprayer and I've filled up that cup once and that will be enough for all 7 coats. I wonder if I'm spraying too thin?

Consider this....if you can't tell / see where you've sprayed, but you KNOW Paint is exiting the Gun, then at least you know your not applying too much too fast. The most important thing would be that what is going up is going up evenly, with a even overlap of each row.

Quote:
But how do I know when I have enough coats? Is there something i'm looking for to tell me that?

Upon close inspection, as your coats go beyond 4, you should begin to see less "Speckling" of darker paint and more of a "Fill in". If your truly applying some very thin coats, a 8th coating might be required. But stopping at 7 and letting it dry, then doing a visual check is a very safe way to avoid making a mistake. ****

Quote:
I'm going to get the 5th coat on tonight and then go to bed and get the rest in the morning.

OK....but be certain NOT to rush into spraying each of the next coats until the previous coat is dry to the touch. It's now at this point that the newer coats start to build up and retain moisture between them and the previous coats. The Glaze doesn't allow moisture to evaporate nearly as quickly when it's trapped between coats, and that can produce a slippery slope that can let even a duster coat start to slide.

"Mistake" means applying so much S-I-L-V-E-R that you have a solid coating of the stuff. It should never look completely uniform from 6" -12" away, simply very condensed and even.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't really tell, speckling or uniform. Perhaps I need more light in here.

I've been having my wife stand on the side and monitor my passes to make sure i'm overlaping but not too much. I can see paint leaving the gun. Barely. I start spraying off to the side of the screen on the plastic and if I hold it there for a couple of seconds I can then see paint buildup so I know it's shooting paint. I've resisted the temptation to turn the knob and allow it to shoot more material. I'd rather do not enough than too much.

Anyways, 6 coats are done now.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,895 Posts
It sounds like to me that your on the money. If you could plainly see the paint depositing, you'd most likely would get runs, or worse, deposit so much Silver Metallic that the Screen would be too reflective.

Of course if you opted to reduce the amount of Water as I suggested, that would also make a difference.

The paint will not exit the Gun with nearly as much volume or force.

You can try adjusting the Gun up just a teeny weensy bit and shoot a shot onto a practice piece/location to judge. But all in all, I'd say that just stopping at 7...or at most 8 coats and trying that out would be the wisest and safest route to follow. If you do adjust the Gun upwards in output, the be sure to keep moving as fast across the surface. Speed is essential and more important than trying to "coat".

BTW, overlapping TOO MUCH isn't as detrimental as over lapping too LITTLE. What is important is that you over lap the same throughout.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/18234053

I've been having my wife stand on the side and monitor my passes to make sure i'm overlaping but not too much.

Cherish her for the rest of your life
. My wife said we don't need a bigger screen, but I did one anyway

I made a 145" screen out of BOC and sprayed on RS-MaxxMudd-LL and it works great. I do see some light tracks where the paint is uneven, but overall it's not noticeable to anyone but me. I see more as the paint dries over several weeks. Reason I'm saying this is, you might want to give your screen a week to dry and check it out before putting all your equipment away--cause it might need a couple additional dustings, but that really gets into the anal retention area of screen management

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/18234268

Cherish her for the rest of your life
. My wife said we don't need a bigger screen, but I did one anyway

I made a 145" screen out of BOC and sprayed on RS-MaxxMudd-LL and it works great. I do see some light tracks where the paint is uneven, but overall it's not noticeable to anyone but me. I see more as the paint dries over several weeks. Reason I'm saying this is, you might want to give your screen a week to dry and check it out before putting all your equipment away--cause it might need a couple additional dustings, but that really gets into the anal retention area of screen management

Yeah, she doesn't think we needed a bigger screen either. But she laughed at me and let me do it. This one is 145" too. Maybe it is too big for watching TV on but it's just right for movies!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
7th coat is on. I adjusted it up a teensy weensy bit but see no noticable difference on the actual application. Perhaps that's a good thing. When I spray in the masked off area I can see it is applying a bit more.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 /forum/post/18234441

Yeah, she doesn't think we needed a bigger screen either. But she laughed at me and let me do it. This one is 145" too. Maybe it is too big for watching TV on but it's just right for movies!

It seemed big for TV in the beginning, but now I'm totally used to it and don't want to go back to smaller. The Olympics sold me on the bigger screen. Amazing. That said, bad content is really bad however. Regular DVDs look awful vs. blu-ray. That is one thing the family noticed immediately.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
threed123,

that's also due to your new screen's ability to expose bad content... at 140" it's just more glaring than at 80".

it's the two edged sword of audio high fidelity and now more folks are seeing with 1080p projectors and high quality screens... it brings out and makes very noticable... bad quality content.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I didn't update sooner. Just been cleaning up my mess, painting the trim, doing some touch up, this was a entire room project.

I ended up doing an 8th coat. I couldn't see the speckles very well(kept going cross eyed) but found if I used a red light I could see all the detail on the screen and I compared that to some close up shots you posted in a SILVER thread. That's how I knew I was done.

Looks good. Going to put it through it's paces here in a little bit. Considering this is my first time ever using a sprayer I must say I did a pretty damn good job.

I'll get some pics up in a bit.

Now that LoTR idea you have...hmmm....be back in a bit!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After spending some time with the new screen I can say it's better than my dalite HCCV screen but it's not a huge difference. Flesh tones are better. It's brighter. I'm guessing the gain of the SILVER is around 1.5 versus 1.1 for the dalite.

Here's before:

And after:

This is the dalite sitting on the ground in front of the new painted screen:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts