AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a left over Alpine 12" Type R sub from a car audio project. I interested in using it for a quick build for HT and want to purchase either the 1.5cu or 2cu sealed box from parts express. I know this can be modeled with WinISD but I am still learning this program. I am using a Crown XLS 1002 bridge 700W at 8ohms.

Which box will perform the best for this sub for most HT and gaming?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Without even modeling it, I can say the 2ft3 enclosure is probably the better choice...
It *should* play a little deeper, with a slightly lower power requirement then the smaller enclosure would comparatively...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did some modeling of the 12" Type R in WinISD and noticed the transfer function is not that compelling in a sealed enclosure. Put it in a Ported 3.4 cu ft box and the transfer function looks better than the Ultimax 18" in the 4 cu ft sealed Dayton enclosure. Does this surprise anyone? I didn't think the Type R could play that low.

I know this does not represent SPL but the Alpine Type R 12" looks compelling for HT application, especially if you have one laying around.

Any thoughts on the comparison from a transfer function perspective?

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks. I did some modeling of the 12" Type R in WinISD and noticed the transfer function is not that compelling in a sealed enclosure. Put it in a Ported 3.4 cu ft box and the transfer function looks better than the Ultimax 18" in the 4 cu ft sealed Dayton enclosure. Does this surprise anyone? I didn't think the Type R could play that low.

I know this does not represent SPL but the Alpine Type R 12" looks compelling for HT application, especially if you have one laying around.

Any thoughts on the comparison from a transfer function perspective?
Ported at 23hz, it isn't surprising that it would look better around tune than the UM18. That's a high-ish tune, and sealed vs ported. Check the maximum SPL tab and see how it looks. Also, keep in mind, that tab isn't saying the alpine is going to be louder, it just has a lower f3, which is obvious as it is ported. A subwoofer could be 30dB and down 3dB at 16 and that tab would make it look like it beats a HS24.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So looked at the SPL tab ( I still new at this). Interestingly the Alpine Type R appears to be much louder under 33Hz than the Ultimax 18" in the Dayton enclosure. With so many 18" Ultimax builds using the Dayton enclosure, I thought there would be a bigger difference?

Attachments

·
Registered
980 Posts
So looked at the SPL tab ( I still new at this). Interestingly the Alpine Type R appears to be much louder under 33Hz than the Ultimax 18" in the Dayton enclosure. With so many 18" Ultimax builds using the Dayton enclosure, I thought there would be a bigger difference?
You want the MAX SPL tab, not the spl. ;)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks.. Nothing shows up on the MAX SPL tab? How do you get the chart to work?
If nothing shows up, something is wrong with the way you have everything entered. The Max SPL chart shows the maximum output the driver can handle based on the RMS power vs the box size listed.

Also, it looks like you may have the sensitivity too low on that. Data-bass found that the UM18 is just a hair under 89dB at 1w/1m rather than that being at 2.83v/1m. It's leading to a lower than accurate graph for the UM18.

https://data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=58

Also, why is the UM18 falling off THAT far? It should be going all the way into the 10hz range on that chart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess there must be a bug in the latest version (0.7.950, 29.10.2016) as the chart does not auto size. Which version are you using WinISD 0.50?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts