AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering replacing my Pioneer HU which is giving me trouble with a new Alpine unit... I've been looking at some models in the $250-$400 range... I see more than a few complaints about lack of EQ functions (only having bass & treble to adjust)....

Is it silly to jump from a HU that allows me to set my equalizer the way I like it to a unit that only allows for bass/treble adjustment?

Can anyone elaborate as to what this is and how it works?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PXA-H100

I'm eying the new iDA-X305 model and pairing it with this IMPRINT technology:

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Craca /forum/post/15567495

Is it silly to jump from a HU that allows me to set my equalizer the way I like it to a unit that only allows for bass/treble adjustment?

Can anyone elaborate as to what this is and how it works?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=PXA-H100

I wouldn't say silly, but your sound will change based on how much EQ you are doing. The Imprint will use a mic to automate the process of digitally EQing your system. I believe it also does time alignment. Some models may offer you the choice of running your speakers active as opposed to using passive crossovers. Active means each individual speaker (woofer, tweeter) are run with their own separate amplifier and each amplifer is receiving only a specific band of frequencies. Passive crossovers on the speakers are removed.

Running active with time alignment and the IMPRINTs fine EQ 'countouring' will yield amazing sound quality. Eclipse also has this, but they have an online version I think called iSERV where you can fine tune the adjustments. I do not know if you can do that with IMPRINT. You can however, on some models, make IMPRINT adjustments yourself off the head unit. It is not the IMPRINT or iSERV technology by itself that makes it sound great. It's the combination of time delay, active and adjustable crossover, and an EQ with so many adjustments that you can fine tune the speakers to match the acoustics of your car and your ears.

You can either spend oodles of money trying to find the right speaker, or you buy your own decent set of speakers (OFTEN for MUCH cheaper) or even just use what you already have to run active and use IMPRINT or iSERV to set a baseline 'flat' sound then ever so slightly nudge or tweak those settings to your pleasing to make them sound amazing.

However, going active and adjusting the sound is the meth of car audio. I know of many online and offline who shared their initial excitement of going active with an endlessly adjustable digital EQ and then are never heard from again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts