AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear all,
After the fun and success of my recent Alpine SWR-1522D budget build I could not resist jumping on an Alpine SWR 1223D in very nice, tho not perfect condition, when it came up on Gumtree for $40.

Modelling this driver it looks really good, and a surprisingly similar performer to the SWR-1522...

The thing that strikes me when I look at this is how small the box the 1522 needs, I was hoping the 1223 might have worked in a smaller box, but 75L looked to me to be the best compromise.

Sketch Up made the box design process straight forward. I can do a slot ported design in about 15 minutes. 30mm port this time....

Again, I've used 30mm ply, cut at my local Bunnings on their nice panel saw. Build pics follow...

Test fit...

Looking a bit better after sanding...

Interior...

Mat black can hide a thousand wrongs....

Bradford soundscreen installed, it's not clear in the image but no insulation is near the port...

Ready for her new home...

All together now...

Installed, and wife didn't even mention it! :D;)

So how does it sound, well I haven't gotten my act together yet for measurements, but it's great! Not as sensitive as the SWR-1522, not as big sounding (could be that I'm sitting right next to the 1522). But really smooth, digs deep, gets loud with grace, no unwanted noises or chuffing. For about $100 in costs, and some of my time its a tremendous value sub. Looking forward to getting more critical listening time in when time and family proximity permit.

Close mic (green) and at MLP (gold)...

This enclosure also works great for the SWR-1222D …..

And the magnificent SWX-1243..... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
looks great...you have done really well for a limited budget. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts