AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My "vintage" Alpine TMD-7475 head unit has been acting really weird lately. I've had this unit for about 20 years, through multiple cars, it has outlived at least 3 CD changers that it controls, never had a problem until now. Am curious if anyone out there has a clue as to what this problem might be...

...It is acting like it is "haunted". That is, if I am driving and don't even have it on, it turns itself on at random times. If I am listening to a CD via the changer it controls, at random times it acts like the skip track/up/ffwd button is pressed and changes to the next track. If I am listening to the radio, at random times it acts like the same skip track/up/ffwd button is pressed and changes to the next station up the dial.

I tried replacing the detachable face unit with another one but it still does the same crazy stuff.

This problem is not specific to anything, that is, it happens randomly, some days might not happen until an hour of driving goes by (or not at all), other times happens a maddeningly 5 times in like 30 minutes.

Could it be something just wrong with the head unit at this point (what?).

Could it be something strange with the power/voltage put out by my alternator/battery?

I really can't afford to replace anything at this point but am looking for clues as to what is going on.

Thanks for any helpful guesses or tales of similar things happening to your own head units that you have figured out, or what I could to try to diagnose this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts