945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is:

Paradigm Studio 20's L/R

Paradigm CC-470

Paradigm ADP-370

Paradigm PW-2100

Denon 4306

A picture of my setup is here so you can get a sense of the room.
http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7564024

My question is, if I were to want to take the system to the next level what would you guys recommend? Should I upgrade the studio 20's to the 40's, 60's or even 100's? What should I expect from such an upgrade? Anybody have the MSRP's of these speakers?

How big of a difference is it to move from the reference series to the signature series? If I were to go that route would I notice a big difference in sound by getting the S2 or S4? Anybody have the MSRP's of these speakers by the way?

Or do you guys think that I should upgrade the subwoofer? And what do you think?

Finally, if I were to get bigger speakers like the Studio 40's (i have the premier J stands for the studio 20's) would I need to get the lower stands? Would the ones that I have be too high?

Also anybody have thoughts on the millenia speakers? Wife would definitely like those although I wonder if sound quality is worse than my current set up.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
 http://www.audioemporium.com/2007catalog.pdf for catalog and pricing... scroll down for paradigm studio's..

Im not sure you would see a whole lot of difference in upgrading if your using a sub here..

and it doesn't look like you have much room there for a 5.1 surround setup..

Maybe the 40's might add a bit of clarity to your setup in the mis-bass range as would the 60's, but like I say, if your using the sub, then your most likely crossing out at 80hz and the sub is taking the load of the low end..

In my opinion It would be a step down to head into the milenia line from Studio's.

I haven't had the luxury of listening to the Sig. line, but I just purchased a full setup of the New Studio line... seen here

I am running a sub, but I also have intentions of running in 2 channel mode (speakers set to large) with no sub. That would be the only benefit in my eyes to upgrade speaks for you... not sure what excatly your after here, maybe just a case of Upgrade-itus...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be upgrade-itus. I saw your setup like 20 minutes ago and it definitely made me jealous. My studio 20's just seem so puny now.

Still, your post does seem to make a lot of sense. Before making the trip out, I wanted to see if anybody would think there was any benefit from such an upgrade. Would be curious about the signature's though. Also, do you think I would get anything out of moving the studio 20's to the rear and getting 40's and getting rid of the adp370's? Or maybe upgrade the adp-370's to the 470's? Not sure...got a real nice bonus and want to spend some of it...maybe i'll just wait until this summer and get rid of the panny 50" 60U and get a 1080P panny or panasonic in the 60" range...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Size doesn't make that much of a difference, I listened to those 20's before I bought them, and I was astounded... they really carry their weight for their size... Great Speaks.. Hence my reason for getting them as rears. Can't wait to hook em up... they make me sorrowful looking at them on the floor..

Anyways.. Run around and try on some new speaks..Thats the best part of all this [email protected] is just having fun and playing around... I don't have sigs here in my area, so I didn't get to hear them, and I think Im glad I didn't have the chance, as I couldn't afford them..

If you get 40's you will need smaller stands to lower the tweeter to your ear range I would think.. 60s would be right at ear level.

Good luck with that Bonus burning a hole in your pocket !!!!

Warp

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

It could be upgrade-itus. I saw your setup like 20 minutes ago and it definitely made me jealous. My studio 20's just seem so puny now.

Still, your post does seem to make a lot of sense. Before making the trip out, I wanted to see if anybody would think there was any benefit from such an upgrade. Would be curious about the signature's though. Also, do you think I would get anything out of moving the studio 20's to the rear and getting 40's and getting rid of the adp370's? Or maybe upgrade the adp-370's to the 470's? Not sure...got a real nice bonus and want to spend some of it...maybe i'll just wait until this summer and get rid of the panny 50" 60U and get a 1080P panny or panasonic in the 60" range...

I have pondered the same idea for the past month myself. My setup is smaller than yours. I have:

Paradigm Studio 20s

Anthem AVM30

Anthem Statement A2

While I've always wanted new speakers, I took a few trip to the local dealer, and listened to a pair of Totem Mani-2 signatures (5,999 CAD) MSRP, and IMO they don't do anything sigificantly better than the Studio 20s. Granted, I did not listen to them side by side or in my home, but if there was a large difference, I would have noticed it.

So in conclusion, when you are at the level of the Studio line with good electronics, I doubt buying new speakers will make a world of difference. By looking at your room, it seems like you have a very large room with no room treatment. At this stage, IMO you may benefit the most from treating your room.

If you really want new speakers, the new Signature line uses Beryillum tweeters, which may improve the detail in the upper spectrum. I would wait until you can get your hands on those.

Let us know which route you take.

Ming

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I must say I like my studio 20's. They are great speakers. I wish I had gotten the cherry veneer or something though 'cause black is boring. Maybe it is upgraditus although I kinda like the studio 100's in the front and the 20's in the back. So would I need a subwoofer at that point?

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

Yeah, I must say I like my studio 20's. They are great speakers. I wish I had gotten the cherry veneer or something though 'cause black is boring. Maybe it is upgraditus although I kinda like the studio 100's in the front and the 20's in the back. So would I need a subwoofer at that point?

For home theatre, yes you'll more than likely need a subwoofer. The 100s will have more bass extension, which most likely is handled by a subwoofer anyways.

If I were you, I wouldn't buy the 100s. Go for the new signature S2 or S6.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have Studio 20s and went and got Signal Cable's Silver Resolution Series Speaker Cable. It made my system sound like an entirely new system for fairly low cost. Try that out and see if that will make it sound totally upgraded for little money.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had 20s in the front and moved them to the back when I bought 40s. Although the 40s had a different sound to them, I don't know if I would call it an upgrade. It took me about a month of hard listening before I finally realized I liked the 20s better. The mids were the biggest difference. If I were you and had to do it over again, instead of 40s I would buy another pair of 20s and spend/save the rest for another/better sub. I'm not bashing on Paradigm, I went through 3 different 5 channel set-ups and enjoyed my time with them alot, they are a quality product. I now have one of those ID brands and love them alot more for half the $. YMMV Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.