AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this most likely repeated question, but I've read pages and pages and just can't make up my mind. I like the idea of PC hookup, but outside of that, for someone that is going to buy a 50" RPTV and it has to be the small size like the DLP or LCD models... which one is the current favorite???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similarly to you, I spent the last couple of months doing all the research I could before purchasing a big screen. A week ago, I went into a Tweeter with the intention of purchasing the 50 in. Samsung DLP. I walked out with a purchase of a 60 in Sony GWII LCD rear projection. After comparing Satellite, OTA, DVD, and HD signals, the Sony looked apprecaibly better. This is a subjective viewpoint, but at the end of the day, what looks best for you is most important. The Samsung is a better setup for PC hookup, but with a few tweaks, the Sony is supposed to work OK. I don't really plan to use this option so it wasn't a major factor in my buying decison. So far I'm very pleased. OTA HD picture quality (with a Samsung tuner) on the Sony is breathtaking. BTW, the Tweeter store was the only outlet in my area that would take the time and had the capability of swithching signals to compare the units.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Depends on you, your needs, and not much else. They are both good sets. Both also have drawbacks. You are in the right forum. A little time spent reading here and you will have all the info you need.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
dont buy either unless you have seen them in person or they store you buy them from has a very good return policy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too lost many hours over this, and after months and months of agony, I closed my eyes and jumped over the cliff.

I saw the Sony XBR just before I purchased, and it truly did look a *lot* better than the sammy HLN61. The sammy had clay faces, etc.

For better or worse, I'm chalking that up to tweaking, and still going with the Sammy. As I understand it, it's much better at resolving resolution jumps when you're trying to play a game. I plan to use it for gaming probably 10-20% of the time.

I don't envy you. It's an ugly purgatory... I have done my penance in AVSForum surf-dom and passed into the promised land of owner. My Sammy doesn't actually get here until May 10th, but at least my soul is at rest. Now, May 11th will let me know if I pressed the up button or the down button on the elevator.

B

B

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kasarah

For better or worse, I'm chalking that up to tweaking, and still going with the Sammy. As I understand it, it's much better at resolving resolution jumps when you're trying to play a game. I plan to use it for gaming probably 10-20% of the time.

B

B
Are you referring to PC gaming ???

If not, I am confused at what your explaining. 'Resolution jumps' ? :confused:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I spent months researching here before buying the 5065 with the new internals. My biggest concern was the possibility of dead pixels on the LCD. I know the Samsung can get stuck mirrors but that can be replaced with new internals. The Samsung *seemed* to have better depth and blacks to me. Just go to a few different stores to compare - that's really the only and best advice you need if you're deciding between the two.

Good ruck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
Are you referring to PC gaming ???

If not, I am confused at what your explaining. 'Resolution jumps' ? :confused:
I am referring to PC gaming. I took my PC to the store and attempted to play several games on the GW II, and only found one that worked. I believe it was Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

I've forgotten the complete list I tried. I know Age of Myth was one...

The Sammy did several.

B

·
Registered
136 Posts
emlee, you have definitely narrowed it down to the right two RPTV's.

I had been researching these two for a long time, back when the Samsung was the LCD based HLK series, and the first Grand WEGA. The Samsung was usually my first choice because it seemed easier to hook up to my computer using the VGA port and the original Grand WEGA's black levels were not up to par. That changed when the new Grand WEGA's came out and I learned that there are other ways to hook up the Grand WEGA to a computer. I am currently using a high-quality Scan Do scan converter which is better then the ones that come built-in to a TV like the Samsung.

The main reason I ended up getting the Sony is because that is what they sell at my local shop where I am friends with the owner and get good deals on all my high-end home theater gear.

Good luck with your decision! Too bad we can't all do what motjes2 did... just get em both:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having just done a side-by-side comparison with a GW 60-XBR800 and a Samsung HLN-5065 today, my bottom line impression was as follows:

Sony: smoother imager, more filmlike, less contrast (poorer blacks)

Samsung: sharper image, more grainy, better contrast (great blacks)

MIND YOU, I specifically asked what sorts of tweaking had been done to these sets (this was in a Tweeter store in Houston), and the rep said that they had just been taken out of the box and set up, no adjustments made at all. That's heresy in these parts, so my observations could probably be totally reversed after a certain amount of tweaking had been done to either set.

That being said, if you are going to use your display for computer work, including gaming, I would go with the Samsung.

Reasons: 1.) actual documented cases of people succesfully running

Powerstrip on this display

2.) Sharper image

3.) Practically indescernible screen-door (can only see it at 6" or

closer)

I myself am going to being playing a lot of video games (Doom III when it gets here) on the display that I ultimately go with, so the sharpness of the Samsung does it for me.

However, if you plan on watching pretty much exclusively movies on your display, then the Sony will give you the more "film-like" appearance (according to my viewing them both this afternoon).

Finally, and this will probably enrage most of the posters here, I still feel that none of the digital (i.e. LCD or DLP) sets can even compare with a regular analog RPTV, such as a Pioneer Elite or a Mitsubishi Diamond Series. The only reason that I am going with a digital solution is that I plan on gaming at least 50% of the time (yeah, that's right, 50%), so I need to get something that can map 1:1 with computer resolutions. If that were not the case, I would definitely go CRT (yes, even with all of their supposed convergence problems).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll have to agree with you.

I had come to the same conclusion about CRT's being a better solution, but I too am looking forward to trying a few games at insane dimensions.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ha! Awesome. You'll have to keep us posted (i.e. document your experience) with your gaming antics, as there are quite a few members here who have gone through your exact process (CRT -> FP -> DLP RPTV) for much the same reasons.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IT CAME TODAY!!!

I can't believe it! I was quoted May 10, but lo and behold, it has appeared!

I hooked it up at lunch, and must admit my experiences were mixed.

I thought I'd try a DLP friendly DVD, and put in ICE AGE. It looked darned good through component, and S-Video, and when I went to progressive scan, my Blues are GONE!! I have an el-cheapee progressive scan DVD player and I'm going to blame it, but need to get that checked out right away. (Tried two different cables, and couldn't get the 2nd input to work on the Sammy correctly).

I then when to Gladiator, and true to everyone's comments about out of the box, it was kinda average. I saw some clay faces in the midst of some really nice clarity. Again, I'm watching through S-video.

Then I hooked up my PC.

I must say I'm floored. I played BF1942 for about 10 minutes and it is gorgeous! However, I was playing about 3 feet away from the screen because my old TV is still in the room and I just put the Sammy on a Coffee table and felt like I was riding the proverbial hurler by the time I was finished.

I'm going to change computers and put a new one with real HTPC capabilities early next week.

Now for the ultimate in irony... My wife is making me go with her and the family to MYRTLE for the weekend to see the in-laws!!! Talk about the ole ball pean hammer and ice pick torture. Whoever wrote "for better or worse" would most assuredly included a rider to include instances like this.

Next marriage I'm including that in the vows... :)

B

·
Registered
56 Posts
kasarah -

Mine is scheduled to arrive just before we leave to visit family in Hot Springs for a few days. I'm thinking of renting a van and bringing it with us.

·
Registered
56 Posts
kasarah -

Mine is scheduled to arrive just before we leave to visit family in Hot Springs for a few days. I'm thinking of renting a van and bringing it with us.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I looked at the Samsungs, Panasonic, and the GWII. I ended up going with the GWII. It just looked smoother and less jaggy/pixelated across multiple input types. I have no desire to connect my PC to the TV for gaming (already have an XBox, PS2 and Gamecube for that) so this wasn't a decision factor for me. If you read the reviews, they pretty much settle on the same pros/cons - Samsung (or any DLP) has better contrast/black level, but the Sony produces more brilliant colors. DLP is susceptable to flicker, rainbows, etc. due to the fact that it's pulsing light at you through a color wheel - the Sony shines light continuously through three LCD panels so the image looks more 'painted on', and the technology allows for more color precision. Dark scenes, though, can look grey/blue on the GWII, though I've read that with the right tweaking this can be minimized considerably. I still have yet to implement umr's tweaks, since it looks like a time consuming process and I still haven't bought the Avia disk yet.

In the end, you can read the specs and reviews of others until your eyes bleed, but there is no subsititute for viewing both in the store with a multiple of sources representative of what you're most likely be viewing (for me it was HDTV and SDTV DirecTV satellite via DVI or component, progressive scan DVD via component, and DirecTivo via S-video). I'm quite happy, and I'm glad I bought a fixed pixel display (16" deep, ~110 lbs) because when something better comes out 3-5 years from now, I can replace this set and repurpose it in another room a lot easier than I could a 30" deep, 300 lb conventional CRT-based rear projection behemoth. Being able to watch 4:3 content without having to stretch it to fill the 16:9 screen is a big bonus, too - I have yet to zoom/stretch 4:3 source and I really don't know how the plasma users can live with that. But guess as with many things, you just get used to it, and I'm glad that I don't have to get used to cropped images and wide actors on screen.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
tlavelle -

What are these tweaks for the GWII to cut down the black level? I'm leaning toward DLP but if there's a way to get rid of the sony's tragic flaw...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.