AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Altec Voice of Theater speakers A7-W,, wanted to improve the bass as they cut off at the 30HZ range,, curious if anyone has made changes to their speakers,,

would like to hear your results and what actual changes you made to the unit,,

thanks

Derry

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
The most popular method is to seal the existing woofer section off from the lower half of the cab and use that as an enclosure for a modern subwoofer driver. The sub section will run 10 to 15dB lower in sensitivity than the woofer/HF horn, but as it has to be bi-amped anyway so it's no big deal. What is a big deal is trashing the value of the A7s. If in even fair condition with the original drivers I wouldn't mess with them, just add a separate sub.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
wow, nice to see those pop up here. i looked up the specs on the bass driver that you have now, and wow again...6.7% efficient (that's off the charts by today's standards). together with the other specs, i bet those things sound quite nice.

i wouldn't modify them. just get a couple subs for the last octave.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Danley did, and there's a list of "fixes," but none of it extends the LF response, that I recall.

["Subs" is improper usage, obviously....
]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the comments,, I have an SVS pb 13 ultra so will not do any work on the Altecs,, thought there may be a easy mod to gain more bass from them,,

Derry

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
xmax on the drivers is only around 5mm, so even if you modified them in some way, they don't have the excursion for the bottom octave at high spl.

with an svs ultra covering the bottom octave, what do you think that you are missing??? your setup seems like a fantastic combination of high-efficiency mains and deep digging sub.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry /forum/post/18311329

thought there may be a easy mod to gain more bass from them,,

Not without killing their value. BTW, depending on the woofer the A7 rolls off severely as high as 80Hz, so I wouldn't run them lower than that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts