AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HD-Net test pattern recorded on my HD-DVR. It works pretty well for calibrating Blacks & Whites, but it's pretty bad for calibrating colors.


Is there another HDTV test pattern available on another channel than HD-Net that's better for calibrating colors on the HDTV with a signal coming through HDMI or component from a DVR?


If not, what equipment does one get to send a test pattern through an HDMI connection? How much does it cost?


Thanks ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_case /forum/post/0


I have the HD-Net test pattern recorded on my HD-DVR. It works pretty well for calibrating Blacks & Whites, but it's pretty bad for calibrating colors.


Is there another HDTV test pattern available on another channel than HD-Net that's better for calibrating colors on the HDTV with a signal coming through HDMI or component from a DVR?


If not, what equipment does one get to send a test pattern through an HDMI connection? How much does it cost?


Thanks ...

Signal generators are exceedingly expensive -- about $4k - $5k. So that's probably out of the question. There are HD color test patterns you may download from www.w6rz.net .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek /forum/post/0


Signal generators are exceedingly expensive -- about $4k - $5k. So that's probably out of the question. There are HD color test patterns you may download from www.w6rz.net .

Thanks ... if I burn these test patterns onto a DVD, output the patterns to my LCD TV via an HDMI cable, and calibrate with the patterns, will these calibration settings remain true when I reconnect the HDMI from my TV back to my cable box?


Edit: Well ... that's what I did. First, had to buy a DVD player with HDMI out. After calibrating with the DVD, switched the HDMI back to the SA8300-HD cable box and the HDMI settings remained. HDTV looks much better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_case /forum/post/0


Thanks ... if I burn these test patterns onto a DVD, output the patterns to my LCD TV via an HDMI cable, and calibrate with the patterns, will these calibration settings remain true when I reconnect the HDMI from my TV back to my cable box?


Edit: Well ... that's what I did. First, had to buy a DVD player with HDMI out. After calibrating with the DVD, switched the HDMI back to the SA8300-HD cable box and the HDMI settings remained. HDTV looks much better now.

Unfortunately, that's not going to work. You really need the device you're calibrating to -- to be responsible for outputting the test patterns. It's possible that the DVD->HDMI is good -- provided the DVD player doesn't massage the output levels in any way. In general, I wouldn't trust it.


I calibrated my dish connection using a signal generator (which I own) via the 8VSB input to the dish box. I figured this was about as close as you could get to the ideal method. I looked at the HD test patterns, and didn't think they were suitable...so I took this approach instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek /forum/post/0


Unfortunately, that's not going to work. You really need the device you're calibrating to -- to be responsible for outputting the test patterns. It's possible that the DVD->HDMI is good -- provided the DVD player doesn't massage the output levels in any way. In general, I wouldn't trust it.


I calibrated my dish connection using a signal generator (which I own) via the 8VSB input to the dish box. I figured this was about as close as you could get to the ideal method. I looked at the HD test patterns, and didn't think they were suitable...so I took this approach instead.

Certainly it's possible the a DVD player will change the signal enough so that using it to calibrate HDMI, or component, will not be as good as doing so with a signal generator.


However, if that's true then everyone who thinks they can calibrate on their own, such as with an Avia disk, is mistaken and the only way to calibrate well is to get your own signal generator or to hire a professional calibrator to come out who has the right equipment. Is that what you are saying?


Also, how far off are you saying home calibration with, for example, Avia would be?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Ok, semi off the wall question related to this thread. Lots of people in this forum area talk about the hassle of calibrating a cable box input. If you don't use the INHD test patterns your stuck with the DVD player or a signal generator issue, neither of which actually duplicates how the STB will send a pattern to the TV. So (dumb question part), has anyone tried to actually save test patterns onto the DVR of a STB from a DVD player and then pipe them to the TV? The pattern itself may no longer be perfect, but atleast its going to the right input and coming from the right source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,007 Posts
The biggest problem is the porch setting for black level. DVD players often have a setting higher or lower levels of black, and it's hard to know which one to use for cable. Signal generators are not much better. They too have a high and low setting for black.


About the best you can do in my experience is calibrate according to one level of black and then do it again with the other, and then use the corresponding brightness setting on your display that looks better for that input.


To complicate matters even further, HD signals may very well have a lower porch setting than SD signals, so that ONE correct brightness setting for both is impossible.


Color and sharpness settings should be the same for HDMI and component. However, color settings for component and HDMI may be different than what you want for s-video, composite, and direct cable input.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top