AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last year, there was someone who had a GUI for his PC, but it wasn't from Micro$oft.

I belive it was running his Desktop and had some scripting language built in - actually I don't even know WHY he didn't want to run Windows.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get info on some alternative OS for a stand alone PC (aside from Linux) and thought thats what this guy had?

I could be wrong.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Last year BeOS still existed. It seemed very promising in the beginning. Originally it was intended to be a high performance, muti-threaded, real-time "Media" operating system. Sony even used an embedded version of BeOS in one of their products. But Be has gone out of business, selling their assets to Palm. I think the last BeOS release (R5.03) may still be available from their distributor, GoBE Software.

There are several derivatives of Unix available -- FreeBSD and NetBSD come to mind. Unix is not Linux, althogh many of the concepts used in Linux are based on ideas that have been used in Unix for many years.

There are at least two realtime operating systems available. VxWorks from Wind River, and LynxOS from LynuxWorks.

There also are several open source attempts in progress to produce other alternatives, but iI suspect it'll be a long time before they will be easily usable for HT.

Do any of these ring a bell?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
And there is OSX. If only custom timings and multichannel sound were somehow supported it would beat any Windows offering hands down....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think it was BeOS that I remember... thx for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.