AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using an nvidia 8300 on my HTPC which is working reasonably well, but is a little sluggish in Media Browser. I'm toying with upgrading to a 9800GT or GT220 (nvidia only, I've got some issues with ATI and my TV - and have recently removed a 4830 because of this) - they are similar prices, but the GT220 seems to offer a few more features like better HDMI support, with with lower performance. Ideally, something supporting Hybrid SLI would be nice, but not too important.

Any comments / suggestions?

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18217659

The 8400 + 8300 = 8500. The IGP and a 8400 card can be used together to "double" the power of the card/IGP alone

It does not double linearly and it only works for 3D.

·
Registered
350 Posts
mediabrowser has a reputation for being sluggish. I doubt thats a video card issue as navigating it shouldnt be a stretsch for any current GPU.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheesdad /forum/post/18220198

mediabrowser has a reputation for being sluggish. I doubt thats a video card issue as navigating it shouldnt be a stretsch for any current GPU.

Thanks for all the replies. This is a pure htpc, no games. My comment on sluggish is that I never noticed the issue with the 4830, but that card has other probs for me. The 8300 is fine, but a bit sluggish and TMT3 doesn't allow simhd to run on it - needs a 8400GT min. So I'm thinking of something a little newer and more powerful without going overboard since 8400s are now a bit difficult to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts