AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did ceiling prewire in my basement media room for 5.1 speakers. Currently I am thinking of Bose lifestyle T20 which is a good fit for my setup. My budget is $2000 for receiver and speakers. Please suggest any other satellite speakers better than Bose.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why do you think the Bose is a good fit for your setup? Your answer will help us understand your goals.

There are a number of ways you could spend $2,000 and get a far better sound than the Bose system. Start with an AV receiver in the $500 range. The Onkyo TX-NR708 would be a good choice. Next, spend around $500 for a good subwoofer. That leaves you with $1000 for your mains and surrounds. I'd spread that over 5 speakers since there's not that much true 7.1 material out there. Look at the offerings from internet direct companies like Hsu, Outlaw, SVS and Ascend Acoustics. I have Ascend mains paired with an SVS sub.

Before buying any Bose product, read this: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

My father-in-law has a Bose 1-2-3 system. He sent it back twice for repair. The third time they offered to sell him a new system for 1/3 of the $1,000 he originally paid. I also have a friend with a Bose 5.1 system. When watching movies, he has to turn it up very loud just so the dialog is somewhat intelligible. At the end of a movie I suffer listening fatigue. It's a very unpleasant experience.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
If small speakers is what you want.

Go to www.nhthifi.com and click on systems - and take a look at the

NHT Super Surround 5.1 speaker system. Then get you a receiver like

the Denon 791 or the Pioneer 1020 or 1120 receiver. And I use to own

the origional Super Zero speakers and they are much better WITH music,

movies and voices.

Also, If you want something small.

Go to www.orbaudio.com and click on complete systems. A lot of people

pick ORB over Bose.

I will now exit from the bumpy ride!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your inputs. Actually I am new to this high end home audio systems. I went to a Bose demo, sound was great and it best fits my wiring in the ceiling. That was the reason why I opted Bose initially.

Now I changed my mind and I would like to go for seperates. I am thinking to get Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver for $360 and Polk Audio DSW Pro 400 subwoofer for $400. So that would leave me around $1200 for speakers. Still deciding on whether to get satellite speakers or standing speakers. Let me know what do you think of above combination.

Dedicated media room in the basement mostly for watching moies, size: 11x19.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts
I like the NHT and Boston sound.

Go to www.onecall.com and look at the Boston VR3 tower speakers

and VRC center speaker. Then the CR67 or CS26 for surrounds. Then

go to www.hsuresearch.com and get a better subwoofer than the

Polk. Polk is not strong in the sub department.

For shelf/stand speakers - go back to www.nhthifi.com and look at

the Classic Two 5.1 system. If you can squeeze a little more - then,

look at the NHT Absolute 5.1 system.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John999 /forum/post/19640016

Thanks for your inputs. Actually I am new to this high end home audio systems. I went to a Bose demo, sound was great and it best fits my wiring in the ceiling. That was the reason why I opted Bose initially.

Now I changed my mind and I would like to go for seperates. I am thinking to get Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver for $360 and Polk Audio DSW Pro 400 subwoofer for $400. So that would leave me around $1200 for speakers. Still deciding on whether to get satellite speakers or standing speakers. Let me know what do you think of above combination.

Don't get a Polk subwoofer. they are rip-off's

One option of speakers I just heard and liked were HSU's. And HSU Hybrid 15 5.1 package is a decent start with a $450 for a receiver

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/0

Are you thinking about upgrading?

Yes I am toying with the idea personally of upgrading my front 3 in my budget HT or getting a new subwoofer. I'll probably end up with a subwoofer. My one worry is my satelites I'll use as surrounds would need 120hz crossover and bookshelves would be 80hz and receiver only allows for one xo... My sub is -3db at 45hz so I could benefit there with and upgrade

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If you need an alternative to Bose cubes, Orb Audio and Mirage Nanosats are great.

·
Registered
19,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19640657

Yes I am toying with the idea personally of upgrading my front 3 in my budget HT or getting a new subwoofer. I'll probably end up with a subwoofer. My one worry is my satelites I'll use as surrounds would need 120hz crossover and bookshelves would be 80hz and receiver only allows for one xo... My sub is -3db at 45hz so I could benefit there with and upgrade

Good Luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John999 /forum/post/19638955

Please suggest any other satellite speakers better than Bose.

That would be about anything but Bose ..

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John999 /forum/post/19640016

Ok first, like many have said here, do not buy Bose. Frequency response is horrible. Something like 200Hz to 13KHz for the cube speakers. And the sub or "bass module" as they call it goes only up to something like that 160Hz. Not only do you have a hole in the sound reproduction department, the "sub" will be very directional, which is a bad thing.

I would check out the Aperion Audio 4Ts & 4Bs and an HSU Research sub or the Lava 12" sub. I have the Aperion Audio 6Ts and an Hsu sub and love them.

www.aperionaudio.com

www.hsuresearch.com

www.lavasubs.com - By the way, you can get an AVS Forum discount of 15%. Just email them with your AVS Forum username.

If you went with the following configuration, it would be a pretty good setup:

2 x 4Ts = $650

2 x 4Bs = $260

1 x 4C = $160

1 x LSP12 = $280 (with discount)

Total = $1350

Leaving you $650 for a very competent AVR.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlavs /forum/post/19641477

ok first, like many have said here, do not buy bose. Frequency response is horrible. something like 200hz to 13khz for the cube speakers. And the sub or "bass module" as they call it goes only up to something like that 160hz. Not only do you have a hole in the sound reproduction department, the "sub" will be very directional, which is a bad thing.

+1

·
Registered
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John999 /forum/post/19638955

Please suggest any other satellite speakers better than Bose.

Two tin cans and a piece of string.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow!!! what a group... never thought i would get this much information in small time frame.. Now I am able to breathe easily with the clarity I got.. Thanks guys.. really appreciate it!!

I narrowed the selection to:

Infinity Primus or Aperion Audio Speakers

HSU VTF-2 MK3 or Lava Subwoofer

Pioneer VSX-1020-K or Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver

Bye Bye Bose...

·
Registered
17,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John999 /forum/post/19642019

Wow!!! what a group... never thought i would get this much information in small time frame.. Now I am able to breathe easily with the clarity I got.. Thanks guys.. really appreciate it!!

I narrowed the selection to:

Infinity Primus or Aperion Audio Speakers

HSU VTF-2 MK3 or Lava Subwoofer

Pioneer VSX-1020-K or Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver

Bye Bye Bose...

Many of us live and breath this stuff .. and, many of us also love to slam Bose .. at least there were no "You know you're a ******* if your Bose speakers .. .. "

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.