AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was going to purchase the Bose Lifestyle T20 home theater system but after doing some online research I found out that the system is way overpriced for what you get (especially the issue with low frequencies and the fact that the bass module is not a real subwoofer). I would've spent the 2K on the system but it seems that I can spend less for a better sound.

So I'm looking for an equivalent of the Lifestyle T20 in terms of size (room is a about 550sq feet) but if possible, better sound quality and ideally cheaper. It doesn't have to be HTIB. Main use will be Blu-ray movies and games.

So far, I'm leaning toward this configuration from BestBuy:

Marantz AV Receiver NR1603 ($600) - it's smaller than most of the receivers out there, yet it's on par with Denon, Onkyo, etc.

Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 - ($800) - again, compact size for the good sound quality you get. Haven't found any detailed reviews on the subwoofer but my guess is that it will sound better than the Bose.

Do guys, think the combo above will sound overall better than the Lifestyle T20 or do you have any better alternatives. Any reasons against getting the Maranz or the DefTech models above or should I go for it, etc.

Thank you!

·
Registered
244 Posts
That Marantz/Def Tech combo should sound great, definitely better than the BOSE setup. If you don't need a slim, smaller receiver, you can get more features/power for the same amount of money. The Denon AVR-1713 is advertised as 80W/channel and has Audyssey MultEQ XT, which is a step of from the plain MultEQ in the Marantz.

My first setup years ago was a Def Tech Procinema 100 and Denon receiver. It was great for movies and games.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Trading one overpriced system for another. Bose is better than DefTech low end offerings, It would take at least the ProCinema 1000 to best the t-20. Bose is overpriced but it is not total junk. Same goes for Definitive Technology they need to lower thier

retail prices by 40% and they would be competitive again. You are right at a price point where if you can spend a little more you can a great system. Look fore a sale on DefTech and get the ProCinema 1000 and you will have a better system then the T-20. Better yet

look at the Asecend Acoustics and truly get your moneyworth. I owned a Bose V-20 , a complete DefTech Mythos ST 9.2 system with SCREF subs , and currently JTR's w/SubM HP'S , and Ascend Sierra 1's are so much better thananything in that price range.

Hope that helps

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys, it definitely helps. Unfortunatley both the Denon AVR-1713 as well as the Ascend Acoustics are a bit big for what I'm looking for at the moment. Maybe on my next setup once I move to a bigger place

Anyway, I also went to BestBuy to test the DefTech 600 and I have to say they sounded pretty good for that size. We even did a comparioson with the Bose lifestyle v25 and the sound from the def techs was noticeably better, especially in the low frequency/deep bass and the center dialogue channel so I don't know yet, I have to say though I still like the lifestyle T20 design and the easy to use setup so I'm still on the fence if I shouldn't just get the bose instead.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If you like the DefTech 600 and can fit something slightly larger, consider the 800s. The ProCinema 800 has larger drivers speakers and a larger subwoofer which will improve the sound a little more. Still well within your budget.

As far as the size of the Denon vs. the Marantz, just in case you are going by pictures, their footprint is roughly the same size with the Marantz being slightly deeper. The difference in height is only 2 inches and they weigh the same.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vradev  /t/1437150/alternative-to-bose-lifestyle-t20#post_22559476

Anyway, I also went to BestBuy to test the DefTech 600 and I have to say they sounded pretty good for that size. We even did a comparioson with the Bose lifestyle v25 and the sound from the def techs was noticeably better, especially in the low frequency/deep bass and the center dialogue channel so I don't know yet, I have to say though I still like the lifestyle T20 design and the easy to use setup so I'm still on the fence if I shouldn't just get the bose instead.

The Definitive is not hard to set-up - why compromise on sound quality.

The Marantz can handle the Definitive - even a refurbish 1602 is a nice one.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARNR1602/Marantz-NR1602-SlimLine-AV-Receiver-7.1ch-with-Networking-and-AirPlay/1.html

·
Registered
11,556 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
For the amount you are willing to spend on this setup, it's surprising that you are only considering tiny, plastic housing speakers. 550 square feet (I'm guessing 25x22) is not a small room and I have a feeling those tiny speakers/subs will just get lost in there. The Marantz receiver you mentioned is a bit on the expensive side but, having owned some Marantz gear in that form factor, it's worth the money if you are looking for something that looks elegant but gets the job done. Discounting the $600 for the receiver, there are many, many speaker/sub combos around $1500 that will give you outstanding sound quality. Searching the forums for people looking to spend $1500 on an HT system will give you some ideas and owner impressions. Something like a Hsu Hybrid 1 package is in an entirely different class than the Bose/DT packages being mentioned. And, for a 7.1 setup, it's only $1400.

Edit:

Hsu Hybrid 1, not Hsu Value 1

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
If you want easy to set up and not great sound, then I would buy the Bose. As pointed out, you seem to be smitten with small satelitte systems that won't likely be able to play loud in your sized room! Someone suggested you get the Ascend Acoust CMT340 (about 600/pr) and matching center and I would agree! Larger speakers, but nice looking and even w/o a sub, those will likley play lower than the Bose system!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts