AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built an HTPC. Windows 7, Intel, ASRock Extreme 4 mobo.

I use WMC to record over-the-air television, which I sometimes access during the day via RemotePotato.

I don't like to leave the computer on all day and night because it uses so much power. And because the computer is off, it sometimes does not record TV shows that I've scheduled it to record. So I'm looking for some alternative.

*Is there a way to set the computer (via Sleep mode or otherwise) to run in a low power state during most of the day and night, but then wake to full power to record a scheduled TV show, and then return to the low power state when the recording is finished?*

Also, is there a way to do the same thing when I attempt to access the PC via Remote Potato?

I've done some searches for this, but haven't come up with anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Most MB/CPU combos should allow you to use varying power states depending on factors such as idle PC time and CPU usage i.e. similar to what laptops do. For Intel CPUs, this feature is called SpeedStep, for AMD it's Cool'n'Quiet. You'll need to enable this function first in the BIOS, then configure the power management settings from Windows.

·
Registered
876 Posts
WMC will wake the computer when it's time for a recording and if you have set up your bios to use S3 sleep it should go back to sleep when done or after being idle for whatever length of time you set it for in the power settings.

An MCE remote can both put the system to sleep and wake it up without having to use a mouse or keyboard.

Someone else will have to help with your particular remote app. You would have to use something like wake on lan. I would think your app would have some info or instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickman789 /forum/post/20873770

I've done some searches for this, but haven't come up with anything.

That is absolutely unbelievable, if you search this forum alone "SLEEP" should give you more hits that you can handle.

So putting the machine to sleep is relatively ez but may require some patience to make it work correctly.

Wakeup by applications should be automatic, again refer to last paragraph.

Wakeup by remote (hand clicker) may require an IR sensor that's hooked up and configured properly.

Wakeup remotely via the Internet requires that you configure your machine to WAKE ON LAN.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help. So I went into my ASRock 67, X4 mobo settings, and changed the sleep type from s-1 to auto (which encompasses s3). Then I changed my sleep mode in windows 7 from hybrid to not hybrid. Should I change this back to hybrid? I couldn't exactly figure out how to set the sleep mode to s-3 all the time. But so far, everything is working. The computer wakes to record, as well on when I try to access it via Remote Potato, and then goes back to sleep 10 minutes later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.