AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal is to get the best sonic performance from my collection of FLAC files ripped from my CD collection. I am currently playing these files off of a computer connected to my system via HDMI. Doesn't sound terrible, but I am considering an upgrade. I know there are tons of network players, but I don't really need the network functionality if it can be avoided. I am looking for a no frills box with excellent sound quality and a good UI to connect into my system (Denon X4200 with M2200s powering the front channels). Not sure if such a product exists without the networking/tidal stuff.

I also have an Oppo BD-103D, which sounds very good when playing back FLAC off of a USB (subjectively much better than the PC). Would a network player exceed this quality? My only issue with the Oppo is the slower UI, but perhaps I can live with it if the quality will be similar to a network player/other solution in the $500-$1000 range. I suppose I could also run the PC into an external DAC and connect that to the AVR. But again, my goal is sound quality better than I can get with the Oppo.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
My goal is to get the best sonic performance from my collection of FLAC files ripped from my CD collection. I am currently playing these files off of a computer connected to my system via HDMI. Doesn't sound terrible, but I am considering an upgrade. I know there are tons of network players, but I don't really need the network functionality if it can be avoided. I am looking for a no frills box with excellent sound quality and a good UI to connect into my system (Denon X4200 with M2200s powering the front channels). Not sure if such a product exists without the networking/tidal stuff.
Do you have a LAN? If true, one of the easy ways would be to make your PC and/or NAS a DLNA server because your X4200 is a certified DLNA client.

I play my FLAC files from a Synology NAS (DLNA media server) to a Oppo UDP-203. My Yamaha CX-A5100 (DLNA client) can play them as well but it will not recognize .M3U playlist, the Oppo does.

·
Registered
18,523 Posts
Yes, just use a NAS to stream the files directly to your receiver. There are multiple ways of doing this, Denon must have an app or you can use one of the multiple ones out there like VLC.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
If you're sending the audio digitally to your receiver, the audio is already the best quality since it's digital and then using the DAC in your receiver. Using an external DAC will not improve things as your receiver will digitize it for processing. You will have to use pure direct to bypass this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a LAN? If true, one of the easy ways would be to make your PC and/or NAS a DLNA server because your X4200 is a certified DLNA client.

I play my FLAC files from a Synology NAS (DLNA media server) to a Oppo UDP-203. My Yamaha CX-A5100 (DLNA client) can play them as well but it will not recognize .M3U playlist, the Oppo does.
Thanks. I will look into this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts