AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just curious if anyone knew of an alternative program. This one seems to just have too many bugs for proper use.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
 Unibox , but it requires Excel. However then you can make filters and add them into the sims using Transfer Function Designer from FRD Consortium. . Lots of other useful apps there too.

The one potential drawback for unibox vs WinISD is that it doesn't autocalculate set alignments such as QB3.

Do not trust the databases to be correct if you add them in. Lots of drivers don't match the datasheets, so I suggest using the basic included list and add your own. Simply use an existing driver, and write over the top of it (incl name!) and save it and you'll end up with both, original used as template and new driver. takes 20 secs.

I haven't used WinISD in years.

Another potential program that a lot of people have shifted to is Hornresp. . It does everything from horns to TL as well as ported and sealed boxes but is a bit harder to get started with and use. It's very accurate and David (the author) has a thread on diyaudio for years where he responds to questions and very regularly adds updates and additional features.

I've been using this since it was first released, but I find Unibox quicker for simple sealed and ported.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
This one seems to just have too many bugs for proper use.

May I ask what bugs?

I have built 9 subs,4 bass bins, 4 different speakers designs with WinISD predicting my bass tuning frequency accurately enough for any real world usage, including excursion and port velocity.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray
May I ask what bugs?

I have built 9 subs,4 bass bins, 4 different speakers designs with WinISD predicting my bass tuning frequency accurately enough for any real world usage, including excursion and port velocity.
+1. I've never experienced any difficulties with it whatsoever. But like all tools you must understand how to operate it correctly.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray
May I ask what bugs?

winISD has a really annoying crash in windows 7 64-bit for me. Whenever you close it it gives a continuous error message until you kill the process in task manager. It's annoying because sometimes you try to turn your computer off and it keeps the computer on.

works fine on windows XP though.

The other annoying thing is that while you're typing paramters... say

1.000 is the current paramter

and you begin to type

but accidentally type

or

1m2

or 1.2=

or basically any obvious typo/incomplete input, the program goes buck wild on correcting you immediately, but that just makes fixing the error even more difficult as it throws many popups at you while you're trying to fix the typo.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Yeah, All things Im use too

I can not close winISD in vista.

I guess I just know how to use and Im use to whatever smaller issues exist and its far better for me then Unibox which I think is an ugly kludge product.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19528634

winISD has a really annoying crash in windows 7 64-bit for me. Whenever you close it it gives a continuous error message until you kill the process in task manager. It's annoying because sometimes you try to turn your computer off and it keeps the computer on.

Not if you run it in W98/2000 compatibility mode. Having to run any program in the right compatibility mode isn't an unusual circumstance. This isn't Linearteam's fault, it's Microsoft's.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19528760

I noticed that too; tried to use winISD and it didn't have any of the drivers I was hoping to model (so I tried to add some, and kept getting save errors). Then, I tried to close the program, and it wouldn't - and it wouldn't let me open task manager, or shut down the computer without doing a hard turn-off. I wasn't too impressed - it'd be nice if someone would create an easy to use program for these purposes, that's ready-to-use with the current versions of Windows.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
There is no need to create another FREE program because the majority of users use WinISD with these what I think are very minor flaws. it even took me a bit to figure out how to put in the right driver T/s Specs but once I learned any quirks its the easiest tool to use for modeling a standard ported or sealed box.

if WinISD isnt preferred then just use Unibox.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice /forum/post/19529044

Not if you run it in W98/2000 compatibility mode. Having to run any program in the right compatibility mode isn't an unusual circumstance. This isn't Linearteam's fault, it's Microsoft's.

It's not microsoft's fault if they included a compatibility mode.

It' is linear team's "fault" (not that i blame them) that they haven't updated this program in like 6 years.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19529219

It' is linear team's "fault" (not that i blame them) that they haven't updated this program in like 6 years.

They have, to version 7.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19529219

It's not microsoft's fault if they included a compatibility mode.

Why not send them some money and maybe they will.

There is a certain part of FREE that I think people forget. That is why I would never sell free software, my software makes me great profit

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19529247

Why not send them some money and maybe they will.

There is a certain part of FREE that I think people forget. That is why I would never sell free software, my software makes me great profit

As I said, I don't blame linear team at all. I live with the glitches because it's otherwise an awesome program. But it's just not true that it's a total glitch-free program.

And I'll try 98/2000 compatibility mode. I've been using XP compatibility mode

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Very true, Im just posting that I use it with great success so I will disagree with the "too many bugs to be used" OP comment. Learn how to use it, learn about any small flaw and it does its job well.

I have learned more about ported sealed designs from playing with WinISD then anything else including books and online discussions. There is nothing better then a simple change to see the effects.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19528760

That's odd. I have two PCs running Vista 32bit and I've used WinISD on both many times with no problems.

But I agree, WinISD is a great progam and is very easy to use and manipulate. It simply "works".

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
since I learned the three finger alute Ive never had a problem. I never try to close out or X out anymore. ctrl alt del, end task, wait for it to pop up, end now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19527120

May I ask what bugs?

I can't get it to make a PR box model, it errors out. It also won't let you quit the program on win7 or vista, you have to use the task manager and shut it down every time you quit the program. Thats the main ones i encountered when i made this post. But even the program's main website says the program is full of errors. Its been ok if you do basic sealed or ported boxes, but outside of that it doesnt seem to want to work right.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I have done a PR model for my AV15X. I only did it once though.

Try Unibox, it might help you other then that Bass box pro which costs some $$$ is another option.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts