AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a samsung sir-t150 connect to a tosh 50HX81 and I get all the usual OTA stations. When I want to watch 4:3 OTA material, how can I avoid the pillar-boxed view? Here's what I know and have tried:

1. TV locks to a 4:3 view on the component input from the STB

2. The STB also has an s-video connection that I've tried, but the tv stretch modes applied to this inputs (video 2) dont' seem to do anything

3. I flipped the switch on the STB from 1080i to 480i (or p) and still I'm not able to stretch out the view.

So what am I doing wrong or is it just not possible?

Thanks,

jeff

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I may have found my own answer. The last post in this thread says that some 4x3 digital broadcasts may be in 16x9 format with pillar-bars already added. In this case, the 480i s-video connenction will be unstretchable by the tv (or rather stretching will look the same as not stretching - it's already in 16x9 format). Does this make sense?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=sirt150

jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
My sirt-150 is set for 720p output

Setup is set for 16x9 hdtv

When watching a 4x3 dig. picture the zoom feature is locked out and I,m stuck with a 4x3 picture with blank side bars. However, I discovered if I go back to setup and tell the sirt150 I have a 4x3 hdtv the zoom start working and the side bars disappear, and it coverts it to a 16x9 picture.

RICHARD

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greeno
I think I may have found my own answer. The last post in this thread says that some 4x3 digital broadcasts may be in 16x9 format with pillar-bars already added. Does this make sense?
Yes, at least in HDTV mode.

Many local stations are upconverting to 1080i or 720p, so because there is no picture information in the side areas, the black bars are (almost) unavoidable.

The Dish 6000 is the only stb I'm aware of that allows aspect ratio control in this situation. It will let you eliminate the black bars, perhaps a 6000 owner will fill in the details.

A few other stb's have another workaround. The RCA DTC-100 can be made to fill your 16:9 screen with a 4:3 upconverted image. In the menu, select screen AR for 4:3 and it automatically stretches the image to fill the screen. When viewing 16:9, you must reverse the menu selection.

Your other possibility is if the local stations transmit a 480i subchannel, which can be adjusted by the stb.

In S-Video mode, I don't think there is a 'common' way that stb's deal with this issue. Somy may not allow filling the screen, others might.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.