AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning for some time on two Dayton UM-18's, each in their own ~4ft3 sealed enclosure for my living room HT which is about 2300 cubic feet. Mostly movie use, sometimes music cranked up when I'm at the other end of the house.

I'm replacing a 7-8 year old SVS PB12-Plus/2. My goals are of course a little more SPL, but specifically better LFE's for movies. Looking to really get at that sub-20hz content that my aging SVS struggles with.

I was set on the UM-18's after doing a lot of reading. I like their specs, Dayton reputation in general, price point etc. I've only read good things about the UM-10/12/15 so figured the 18 would be a great choice. Due to multiple delays on their availability, most recently being pushed back from 4/30 to 5/22 I am now open to other options. You guys know how it is when you get the bug and want to build; I can't see myself holding out. If I knew for a fact that on 5/22 the UM-18's would be available I could probably hold out, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was another delay or two throw in pushing their release out another month or months and I'm not really willing to play the waiting game an indefinite amount of time.

All that said, all of you on this forum have gobs of experience in the DIY department over myself. Considering my situation and needs, ~2300 cubic foot living room with mostly movie use can anyone suggest any alternatives? I'm more or less set on two drivers placed in the front corners of the room (about 17' apart with the TV centered between them) to help smooth out the response of the room over a single sub like I currently have. I'll probably end up going with an iNuke amp as they seem to be a general great bang for the buck consensus amp on this forum. Budget isn't really a concern, but I was looking at keeping it in the $1000-$1200 range which is what I planned on with the UM-18's. By not really concern I mean that if adding a few hundred dollars would result in a clear performance gain, I'm all in. I have no problem throwing $100 more at each driver if it will mean something; I however don't want to throw $500 more at each driver if it means marginal increased performance.

Thank you for the direction and guidance everyone.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really looking for 4 drivers/enclosures as I'm only in a 17'x18' room give or take; two enclosures for two 18" drivers is all I really see myself being going with considering my room size.

I've considered the Dayton HO's but viewed the UM's to be an upgrade over them so I almost feel like that would be a step back if I were to "settle" for the driver that's been around a while over the new release. Not sure that's the right way to look at it. It's only a $30 difference on the drivers but the specs overall just look better.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do the UXL's compare? Are they worth ~2x the price of the Dayton's? I'm perfectly willing to spend 2x the money per driver, but not for 1db or 1hz of performance if you know what I mean; they money spent has to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24490897

How do the UXL's compare? Are they worth ~2x the price of the Dayton's? I'm perfectly willing to spend 2x the money per driver, but not for 1db or 1hz of performance if you know what I mean; they money spent has to be worthwhile.

The last 2-4dB cost a bunch of $$, it always has and it always will. They generally do it in a smaller enclosure also.

Reactions: Scott Simonian

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Understood. Enclosure size isn't all that significant to me. I'm planning on two enclosures of ~4ft3 internally. To me it isn't worth spending twice as much money if it's going to yield me two enclosures that are a bit smaller.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24491291

Understood. Enclosure size isn't all that significant to me. I'm planning on two enclosures of ~4ft3 internally. To me it isn't worth spending twice as much money if it's going to yield me two enclosures that are a bit smaller.

A bit smaller but with more SPL. If you have the power and can afford, then the UXL is the better option in my mind anyway. If you want to push things that's the way to go.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"I'm not really looking for 4 drivers/enclosures as I'm only in a 17'x18' room give or take; two enclosures for two 18" drivers is all I really see myself being going with considering my room size."

dual um15 front facing mini-towers might be interesting.

the smaller driver could mean narrower towers which increases placement flexibility.

something along these lines

an inuke 6000dsp would give about 1100 watts per pair (one pair at 8 ohms per channel). that's a little under powered, but still quite massive spl.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24491376

"I'm not really looking for 4 drivers/enclosures as I'm only in a 17'x18' room give or take; two enclosures for two 18" drivers is all I really see myself being going with considering my room size."

dual um15 front facing mini-towers might be interesting.

the smaller driver could mean narrower towers which increases placement flexibility.

something along these lines

an inuke 6000dsp would give about 1100 watts per pair (one pair at 8 ohms per channel). that's a little under powered, but still quite massive spl.

++1 I don't know what size enclosure your talking LTD but sometimes they model better.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
I wonder how duel sealed cabinets with two UM15's would stack up against duel single driver UM or HO18's? Dang I wish taffy my laptop weren't in the shop as all I have for Internet access is my iPhone5! Do any of the modeling programs work with iPhones??

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
about 7 cf net each. 3db or so more sensitivity (even though the pair are smaller diameter). more max spl. more total voice coil. more lower inductance. :) smaller footprint. more money, but not too much.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
"Do any of the modeling programs work with iPhones??"

not sure. haven't seen winsid for ios. :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did consider the idea of using dual UM-15's in each of my enclosures rather than single UM-18's. Aside from the cost being about $240 more ($120 per enclosure) which doesn't bother me too much, the size of each enclosure would have to be considerably (~50%) larger which is somewhat of a deal breaker to me. Having two 4ft3 enclosures in my living room is sort of pushing it aesthetically already, but having them both be 6ft3 enclosures sort of crosses the line IMO being that it's not a dedicated theater room or anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Like you I have been waiting and waiting for the UM18 to finally be released. A few of the things I have to keep reminding myself is no shipping fees and 4cf flat pack box for $75. The $75 box deal only exists with the 18HO now but at the end of January I received this email from PE after asking about a box for the UM18.
Quote:
New products told me that they hope to have knock-down cabinets available for the UM18 within a month or so of the speaker being available.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Eric A. Chandler

Technical Support

Now I am expecting a similar deal as the HO18 and box combo but priced about $355. Compare the $355 box AND UM18 shipped to anything else in this price range and its a lot harder to let go. In the mean time I keep buying small items for the inuke6000dsp, fans, adapter plugs, self switching power strip ect. It helps the time go by lol.

·
Registered
842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24491482

I wonder how duel sealed cabinets with two UM15's would stack up against duel single driver UM or HO18's? Dang I wish taffy my laptop weren't in the shop as all I have for Internet access is my iPhone5! Do any of the modeling programs work with iPhones??
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24491490

"Do any of the modeling programs work with iPhones??"

not sure. haven't seen winsid for ios. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabracer23  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24491504

I would pay for winisd on the iPhone in a heartbeat.

Dan

Maybe this online sim can be of use? Dont know if it works on an IOS device as i dont have any, but try it out.

http://sbp.softica.dk/2.0/en/?id=

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Baron  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24492078

Like you I have been waiting and waiting for the UM18 to finally be released. A few of the things I have to keep reminding myself is no shipping fees and 4cf flat pack box for $75. The $75 box deal only exists with the 18HO now but at the end of January I received this email from PE after asking about a box for the UM18.

Now I am expecting a similar deal as the HO18 and box combo but priced about $355. Compare the $355 box AND UM18 shipped to anything else in this price range and its a lot harder to let go. In the mean time I keep buying small items for the inuke6000dsp, fans, adapter plugs, self switching power strip ect. It helps the time go by lol.

That's more or less the way I look at it. I too really like the idea of the flat box for around $75 with the combo which is a big reason I was holding out for the UM-18. If I were to go with another driver I'd want to make sure it would work well in a flat pack as I find them to be major time savers and the convenience factor is huge since I have very spare time in general.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots  /t/1522836/alternatives-to-dual-sealed-dayton-ultimax-18s#post_24490278

I've been planning for some time on two Dayton UM-18's, each in their own ~4ft3 sealed enclosure for my living room HT which is about 2300 cubic feet. Mostly movie use, sometimes music cranked up when I'm at the other end of the house.

I'm replacing a 7-8 year old SVS PB12-Plus/2. My goals are of course a little more SPL, but specifically better LFE's for movies. Looking to really get at that sub-20hz content that my aging SVS struggles with.

The best advice I can give you is to go with much more of everything than you think you need and build in plenty of headroom.

The UXL-18 is worth the price and has the the extra excursion on tap that will also work in the small boxes you are planning. Definitely get the 6000DSP and you will have a nice setup.

If you want more than a PB-12 Plus/2 can give, then you know what it is like to want more. So, don't go cheap or it will cost you more in the long run. If you are going sealed you will need plenty of power and excursion.

Your SVS is ported so it is much more efficient than what you are proposing.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts