AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girder is all fine and dandy, and noone can argue over its power, but I was wondering as to what alternatives there are to it. Hopefully with links included, pros and cons, etc. I like Girder, but was hoping to play with some other similar softwares before going full bore with setting one up. My current requirements are simple remote control purposes, soon to be branching into IR blaster stuff once I order a USB-UIRT, but maybe software that you guys recommend will have some must have feature that I decide I want, so don't limit any suggestions to just remote control stuff.

Any suggestions will be appriciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Charmed Quark Software might be of interest to you then.

Dean will probably pop in here any minute

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I you want to control software apps, then CQC currently can't do that, though that's coming soon. Currently, it is primarily targeted towards external device control, i.e. traditional automation. It does have large benefits over Girder, one being that it is both a front and back end in one product, network distributed, and secure, with a powerful interface designer system.

You can read more at www.charmedquark.com . See the Get Started section on the left of the main page.

·
Registered
491 Posts
uICE perhaps...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I just do remote control stuff (ie. remote control of winamp, ect.).

This program is free for personal use and easy to use. I've been using it for years. The current release is 3.5, but i prefer to use 3.31 (just seems to work better for me, and in the later versions they added adds for their sponser). It is similar to Girder in that you make macro groups and setup commands... but I think much more straight forward and simple. It might have potential for doing a lot more, but because of my modest usage I never really have explored that arena.

http://www.irassistant.com

Enjoy,

MentatGom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.