AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
The building code here (Ontario, Canada) requires moisture barrier (plastic) between wood and concrete below grade. So not sure how good construction adhesive would be in that case.

In my basement, I have radiant heating so I have to find where the frigging heat tubes are before I fasten anything down, or else I might hit a tube and have an expensive repair.

· Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos /forum/post/0

has anyone used other methods other than nailing 2x4 to their concrete floors when putting walls up ?

Just curious why you don't want to nail down your bottom plates?

· Registered
291 Posts
I used a combo of liquid nails and nails set with a 22 cal. Winchester nail gun. Didn't have any problems with cracking the foundation.

Craigo

· Registered
1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos /forum/post/0

has anyone used other methods other than nailing 2x4 to their concrete floors when putting walls up ?

I used Tapcons for my screen wall. And make sure you use PT lumber for the base plates and use fasteners specifically rated for PT contact so they don't corrode.

Also, it is not a bad idea to put down some penetrating concrete sealer like Kryton or WET Deepseal. This will help cut down on any moisture issues coming from the slab

(I own a mold prevention company in my other life). I sealed the slab, used PT lumber AND put down 6 mil on all contact areas...seen too many rotted out walls in my life.

· Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo87 /forum/post/0

I used a combo of liquid nails and nails set with a 22 cal. Winchester nail gun. Didn't have any problems with cracking the foundation.

I used the same combo, but a different model 22 cal. nail "gun". I did have 2 or 3 of the nails that chipped the surface of the basement floor - I didn't pry up those boards to see the extent, but it appeared to be just the surface layer that cracked, maybe a couple square inches. The cement "chips" got in the way of the board sitting flush on the floor, but not by much. So far no sign of any problems due to it, but it did kind of worry me.

· Registered
491 Posts
When I first started finishing basements years ago, we used a sledge hammer and 3 1/2 " nails on the toe plate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.