AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my home theater is in the finished basement/family room. I rarely have a need for two rows of seating, and the layout of the room makes a riser difficult. However, there are occassions when a 2nd row would be useful for parties and other larger gatherings. I'm wondering what others have done to add additional seating on semi-temporary basis. The two ideas I've been toying around with are:

1) using some of those barstool-height director chairs as the 2nd row of seating.

2) putting my up on some sort-of temporary riser (e.g., a diy cinderblock and plywood type thing)

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For a truely temporary situation you can't beat director height chairs or stools.

I'm going to use stools and a bar-height counter in my theater as a way to add a third row without adding a 2nd riser.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My situation is identical to yours. I've purchased 3 theater chairs and plan to mount them on a plywood base. I will also probably add some sort of frame to the underside of the plywood to add some height (this will be a back row). My plan is to keep them in the adjacent store room and pull them out when guest are present.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I built a 2-piece temporary riser out of a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood and 2x8s. Each piece is 48" square, and easy enough to move to and from the garage as needed. An old Ikea sofa gets plopped on top and everyone's happy. I should get around to having it carpeted though... (the riser, not the couch).

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I just did this for the Super Bowl: I have a couch along the back wall of my HT, about 15' from my screen and I drug the Futon out of the Family room and put it in front of the couch for the extra crowd that was coming over. I placed a piece of 4x4 under each leg of the couch to give it some extra height and it was just about perfect. I had thought about getting some longer legs for the couch (maybe a foot tall) and screwing them on whenever I need a temporary boost and then placing a temporary step in front of the couch.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Marissadad
I had thought about getting some longer legs for the couch (maybe a foot tall) and screwing them on whenever I need a temporary boost and then placing a temporary step in front of the couch.
That's a great, innovative idea. I never thought about bigger/higher feet for the sofa. I'm pretty sure the ones in there now can be screwed out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.