AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Samsung HD931 about a month ago and I couldn't deal with the black crush on my screen, so I took it back. Now I don't have a DVD player and have to use my PS2 to watch DVD's. I want to know what is the best DVD player I can buy for $300-$600? I have a Sony KV-30HS510 FD Trintron Wega TV. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

silentnight702

·
Registered
396 Posts
DEAR GOSH, TRASH THE PS2!!! I swear ps2/xbox DVD viewing is just plain painful, it makes dvds look like VCD'S! . You really need to wait for the new crop of DVI players coming out, as i'm guessin gthis is the main reason you got the samsung HD931? Still, its going to be 2-3 months until the new crop of players are really available. I would recommend that you go out and purchase a prog scan player of some sort like a panasonic rp56 or 62 , then resell it again once the new players are out. The ps2 is just not acceptable even for waiting,

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Reading the fine print of your TV over on the onecall website, it reads.

"Hi-Scan 1080i(TM) Display : Sony''s Hi-Scan1080i(TM) TV''s accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive Scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible High Definition Digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources.

and

DVI-HDTV Interface (Digital Visual Interface) : has been added for the latest generation in High Definition television connectivity. A single wire delivers a full Digital uncompressed HD signal that can be received from any DVI set top box.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the tv won't use DVI for DVD and it only accepts DVD at 480p

Therefore, waiting for a DVI or HDMI ready DVD player or one that upscales to 720 or 1080 isn't going to be any benefit for you. Only advantage would be if one of these new players also performs better due to newer electronic design.

If I were to make a recommendation, I'd say for just DVDs,get one of the panasonic xp30s over on Ebay. Someone claims that he has some new ones for around $300. If you want a model that's in current production that does the new audio formats, you might want to take a look at the Denon 2200 for $500 to $600.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
silentnight792:

I am not familiar with your Sony. However, if you connect an upscaling DVI-output DVD player to the DVI connection, what you are doing is eliminating any digital-to-analog and analog-to-digital artifacts and noise introduced by the DVD player. You simply hook up the DVD player to your DVi input and the TV can't tell if it is a STB or a DVD player. The TV's scaling circuits aren't involked. Any reduction in D/A and A/D conversion results in an improved image.

HOWEVER, not all displays benefit equally from an upscaled DVI input. You should look at the Bravo D1 review in Widescreen Review (Oct, I think). In that review, there is a discussion of the relative merits of DVI for different display technologies. While all displays will benefit, fixed pixel displays (e.g., DLP, LCD, plasma) benefit the most. You will then have to decide whether or not an upscaling DVI-output DVD player is worth it to you.

There is a new "crop" of such players beginning with the Bravo D2 in February.

I believe JumP's reading of your Sony's capabilities are based on hooking up the DVD player to the DVD connection on the back of the TV. In that regard, he is correct but you wouldn't hook up a DVI-output DVD player to that input - you'd hook it up to the DVI input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Sony has a DVI input on the back, not and output. I hooked the HD-931 through the DVI and got a very crisp picture but I also had black crush due to incompatibility between my TV and the player (Many people have had this problem, it was just too much for me to handle). I called Samsung and they said it was their DVD player. I would prefer a player with a DVI output or an upscaling chip, but all I really need is a player with a great picture. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I just recently purchased a Panasonic XP30 from another forum member and I am thrilled with it. If you can find one for $300 I would jump on it. It's the best option for a pure dvd player out there. Check Ebay and you'll find em.

Tiger

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've narrowed my search down to the XP30, Denon DVD-1600, and the Bravo D1. They've all been getting great reviews. Does anyone know which store is selling the Bravo D1? I want to go test it out. Thanks.

silentnight702

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok! I'm going to go with the Panasonic XP-30. It's one of the top rated DVD players besides the Denon 1600 and the Panny RP82, just a little cheaper. Thanks for all your help.

silentnight702

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.