AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sand is too messy and lead shot is kind of expensive. I was wondering whether aquarium gravel would work as well. I'd like it cause its cheap and not messy like sand. I'm just unsure whether it would be inferior to sand or shot. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Anything that you can put into the stand that is sanitary will work fine. Aquarium gravel should work nicely.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighthcircuit
Sand is too messy and lead shot is kind of expensive. I was wondering whether aquarium gravel would work as well. I'd like it cause its cheap and not messy like sand. I'm just unsure whether it would be inferior to sand or shot. Any recommendations?
I filled my ATLANTIS PRO stands (three columns each), with a helper holding a funnel, and me pouring a bag of dried playground sand from HD into the funnel. No mess what so ever, and way, WAY cheaper than aquarium gravel. Plus, the sand, because of compacting will be heavier than the gravel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like the weight of lead myself... got a good relationship with your Dentist?

I'm a dentist myself, and before I went with digital radiographs, I had to dispose of the lead liners in each regular x-ray film as hazardous waste...

You might be doing your local dentist a favor by taking his scrap lead off his hands?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Also rice is a very good filler. Lou

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I've heard of people using cat litter. Not sure of the reasoning over sand though, unless in bulk it' cheaper.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
I had to dispose of the lead liners in each regular x-ray film as hazardous waste...
Hazardous waste in the speakers? :eek:

Just giving you a hard time - that's by far the most creative source of lead I've seen. More common suggestions are scrap weights from tires and lead shot from your local ammo supply store.

·
Registered
30,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
I've heard of people using cat litter. Not sure of the reasoning over sand though, unless in bulk it' cheaper.
The reasons I've heard were: neutral, cheap, inert, cheap. If I were going to use cat litter as a filler for speaker stands, I would use the scented kind. This way, each time the stand vibrated, it would release a fragrant smell into the air. Like activating an air freshener whenever you listen to music. Pretty neat!

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There was a bag of pea gravel left in our garage when we moved in, so that's what I used. Weighs them down pretty well, and I couldn't beat the price. :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
The reasons I've heard were: neutral, cheap, inert, cheap. If I were going to use cat litter as a filler for speaker stands, I would use the scented kind. This way, each time the stand vibrated, it would release a fragrant smell into the air. Like activating an air freshener whenever you listen to music. Pretty neat!

Sanjay

LOL Sanjay.... that's funny.

Seriously though, a 40# bag of pre dried play sand from your favorite home center is gonna set you back a whopping six bucks or so. Although, no scented sand is available. :D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The guy at BB told me that Monster Sand is the best. $100 per 25lb bag, but he said it's worth it. Where can I get some?

·
Registered
30,347 Posts
The suggestion to use scented kitty litter came from of an old issue of Stereophile magazine. But then again, those were the days when they were recommending using green markers on CDs and ebony hockey pucks for speaker tuning.

BTW, you guys should Google the words "cat litter" and "speaker stand". People really do use the stuff as stand filler.

Sanjay

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
The guy at BB told me that Monster Sand is the best. $100 per 25lb bag, but he said it's worth it. Where can I get some?
Probably the same place that sells Monster Steer Manure. :p

Seriously I think you can use washed play sand which is usually at your local Tru Valued Hardware store...I think it is a few dollars for 50 lbs.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I used playground sand to fill my speaker stands. At less than $3 for a 50 lb bag, it was a bargain.

The two items I used to eliminate mess were:

1) a funnel

2) a grass yard

I took the stands out to the yard to fill. The funnel eliminated 95% of the mess, the grass absorbed the rest.

In fact, I used the extra sand in a nearby flowerbed to soften up the soil a bit.

The filling with the least mess is air (unless you live in a smoggy area).

·
Registered
19 Posts
i wouldn't bring lead into the house if there are kids. doesn't take much to knock a few IQ points off a kid with lead dust... (this is real)

·
Registered
257 Posts
aquarium gravel is a good idea. anyone ever use bird seed... of course you will not be allowed to have a wood pecker as a pet, hehehe. do not use flour or sugar they will attract bugs and four is combustible under certain circumstances. saw dust is not good either attracts water and swells and also termites. you could put in coins or gold or silver just if you are a prospector. then your speakers will alwys be worth more than you paid for them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.