AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am thinking about taking the plunge into high efficiency speakers and that will likely be in the form of the Denovo DNA-205 (or one of it's relatives/"clones") coupled with a SEOS 10 waveguide but as I am going into this "blind"(deaf) I wanted to find out from those of you who have heard it and other compression drivers with differing diaphragm materials what you consider suitable alternatives up to ~$60 in price?

I am inclined towards the Denovo and others of it's ilk as the are described as being detail but not harsh.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Denovo IS a clone of the B&C DE10 I believe. I've heard the B&C, it sounds very nice. The 360 and B&C Original (250) are better, in my opinion, but neither sound harsh in the slightest. I've heard other's and there are very few that I would rate better sounding for any amount of money. I had an opportunity to hear my own speakers built out with JBL and TAD drivers as well as BMS compression drivers, I didn't find that any sounded substantially different, let alone better. In fact, the TAD didn't measure so great above 15khz and while the BMS has better extension out to 20khz it wasn't audible. Buy the Denovo, it's already a cheap clone of a great driver, there isn't anything better for less.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There's a new tympany compression driver, peerless dfm2535. Seems wicked based on the measurements on tech talk.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, I am thinking about taking the plunge into high efficiency speakers and that will likely be in the form of the Denovo DNA-205 (or one of it's relatives/"clones") coupled with a SEOS 10 waveguide but as I am going into this "blind"(deaf) I wanted to find out from those of you who have heard it and other compression drivers with differing diaphragm materials what you consider suitable alternatives up to ~$60 in price?

I am inclined towards the Denovo and others of it's ilk as the are described as being detail but not harsh.
I've put my build on hold for the moment but since posting this thread I have come across a very well priced "clone" of the B&C 250 in the form of the PRV Audio D290Py-B, user reviews state it as being quite well matched to the B&C as well as it being detailed but not harsh. Any thought on this?

prvaudio.com/products/d290py-b-2/

I will keep on eye on that Tympany. perhaps it could be used in a surround speaker (likely with a coaxial driver).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have 2-way kits that have the DNA-360 and DNA-205, each using SEOS 12. Cheap Thrills 360 , and Fusion 10 Pure 205.

The 360 is more expensive but to my ears the difference is REALLY small. I've been told the 360 has better power handling, but not in the power range in which I listen. I interchanged each XO with each CD/SEOS 12 and still could not hear any difference.

The 205 is very smooth and in fact I prefer it for most general listening. Even when pushed to LOUD I cannot hear much of a difference, and in a blind test I would not be able to tell them apart.

Here is a comparison of the Fusion 10 Pure to the Bose 301. It give a very good description of the kind of sound the Fusion 10 w/DNA-205 puts out.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
They're very similar and after a good crossover design they'd likely sound very similar. The main reason for the new 325 was to get a compression driver with about the same power handling as the 360 and nearly the same crossover point capability, but a smaller diameter so it could fit through the cutout hole used by the SEOS-8. That way one compression driver model could be used from a SEOS-8 up through a SEOS-15 and timbre match the entire line.

It's been difficult and time consuming getting the DNA-205's, which is why they aren't listed for sale by themselves. Two weeks ago I contacted B&C to see about getting the DE10's instead and tweaking the crossover designs to the B&C. The main difference is the 205 extends lower and can handle a lower crossover point. The only speakers that would be an issue for is the Fusion-10 and Fusion-8 center channel because both of those crossover around 1500hz, which I'm not sure the B&C can handle without more testing. My current idea is to use the DE10 in the 1099 and 893, but use the new DNA-325 in the Fusion-10 and Fusion-8 center.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've put my build on hold for the moment but since posting this thread I have come across a very well priced "clone" of the B&C 250 in the form of the PRV Audio D290Py-B, user reviews state it as being quite well matched to the B&C as well as it being detailed but not harsh. Any thought on this?

prvaudio.com/products/d290py-b-2/

I will keep on eye on that Tympany. perhaps it could be used in a surround speaker (likely with a coaxial driver).
Yep. Used the PRV D290 on some Dayton H6215 guides for a custom build about 18 months ago. They are superb drivers and although my head to head vs the B&C D250 was extremely rudimentary, I thought they were every bit as good as the B&C. Very smooth and very good extension on that guide.

I am thinking about buying more of the PRV's to do an upgrade to my 3 way JBL's that currently use the dreadful 2418H-1 CD. Some would scream sacrilege but the only other option would be a JBL 2426 (or 2416) and it is far more expensive and doesn't have the HF extension of the PRV.

I think PRV was started by a bunch of ex JBL people so I guess I can claim some 'lose' lineage:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. Used the PRV D290 on some Dayton H6215 guides for a custom build about 18 months ago. They are superb drivers and although my head to head vs the B&C D250 was extremely rudimentary, I thought they were every bit as good as the B&C. Very smooth and very good extension on that guide.

I am thinking about buying more of the PRV's to do an upgrade to my 3 way JBL's that currently use the dreadful 2418H-1 CD. Some would scream sacrilege but the only other option would be a JBL 2426 (or 2416) and it is far more expensive and doesn't have the HF extension of the PRV.

I think PRV was started by a bunch of ex JBL people so I guess I can claim some 'lose' lineage:)
Thanks Kwikas, given its price I am definitely going to go with it.

Erich we had recently been in contact, I'm the guy from South Africa who was on the fence about doing a SEOS or synergy horn build, though I have yet to contact the guys who will build my speakers I think I am going to go with my original plan of a SEOS 2-way build.

I will be holding of purchasing them for the time being until I have sorted out some other things though.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
I'm not sure if the PRV's are different from a couple years ago, but when I tested 4 of those they all tested quite a bit different. I was looking for a cheap model for the 'Cheap Thrills' line and tried some of those lower priced models and none were consistent enough from unit to unit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure if the PRV's are different from a couple years ago, but when I tested 4 of those they all tested quite a bit different. I was looking for a cheap model for the 'Cheap Thrills' line and tried some of those lower priced models and none were consistent enough from unit to unit.
This model I think is their top of the range model not sure if that counts for anything, also one user review (not much of a sample size) claimed consistency between units of this model were good.

I may have to order 2 of the 3 first to confirm but that's still a ways off.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Yes, I've tried those, but maybe they changed things.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I have pretty much every model/brand of 1" compression drivers you can buy. :D Also at least 30 - 35 samples or custom samples that aren't on the market along with gobs of phase plugs, diaphragms, etc, etc for testing and experimenting. I wish I could say it was something to brag about, but it's more of an audio sickness. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I've tried those, but maybe they changed things.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I have pretty much every model/brand of 1" compression drivers you can buy. :D Also at least 30 - 35 samples or custom samples that aren't on the market along with gobs of phase plugs, diaphragms, etc, etc for testing and experimenting. I wish I could say it was something to brag about, but it's more of an audio sickness. :D
I think you get a pass as you're not just a hobbyist :)

·
Registered
19,505 Posts
Has any of the DIYSG guys tried the Selenium D220ti CD in a SEOS? That CD sounds very nice.

·
Registered
624 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts