AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im about halfway through building a set of aviatrix in the mltl configuration for my buddy/coworkers wedding gift. we work in a machine shop me being one of the programmer and setup guys for the cnc mills we have. i was thinking of doing an aluminum veneer on the front of his speakers which are made of mdf now and it got me thinking...

long story short. i bought 4 more aviatrix kits (8 speakers) and was thinking of doing a pair totally out of aluminum the sealed version not mltl. is there any disadvantage to doing this sound wise? the advantage i see is it would look awesome
i could do some holographic milling patterns into the surface to make it look real trick. material would be thick and bolted together.

thanks,

mike

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Aluminum will transmit lots of mechanical sounds and resonances which would normally be absorbed by MDF. Putting a sheet over MDF would be better, but it can still work. Just get a lot of dense sound deadener. That old school asphalt people used to use in their cars would be nice...but smelly.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
You simply need the mass equivalent to the MDF to prevent resonances (plus internal damping material).

One of my favourite pair of small monitors is milled out of aluminum!

·
Registered
982 Posts
magico. their measurements look pretty good too.

Matt

·
Registered
7,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/20868429

You simply need the mass equivalent to the MDF to prevent resonances (plus internal damping material).

One of my favourite pair of small monitors is milled out of aluminum!

OMG

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
how about some thing pourable -plaster, concrete ,resin/epoxy with lead/steel shot or sand?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those magico's are nice!! to bad they cover up the nice aluminum on the outside... thanks for the input guys. ive got some big chunks of alum that would be awesome for a hog out but they arent big enough for the aviatrix. would make a nice little bookshelf though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.