AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After purchasing a panny, I had also paid for asimple install on the wall. The installers tell me that i have aluminum studs and that i can't bolt onto those but would need to attach a 3/4 " plywood.Being that they would not do that for me, i figured if i get the plywood on why do i need the installers then. Anybody have experience with this..is this true? If so how do i proceed? Cut out my sheetrock the size of the wall bracket and then does the bracket get bolted only into the wood or the wood and stud?Sorry...kinda new at this.Also hire electrician before or after attaching wood?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The chances are about 1000 to 1 you have steel rather than "aluminum" studs. In fact, AFAIK nobody has ever manufactured aluminum studs on a production basis - they would probably cost more than the rest of the house!

Steel studs are pretty strong but do require different handling than their wood counterparts. Everything considered, I would fasten a piece of 3/4" plywood a little smaller than the plasma to two or three of the studs with several large sheet metal screws - and you will have to pre-drill holes of the proper size in the studs for these screws - and then fasten your mount to the plywood. IMO no reason at all to cut out the drywall, which will create a mess and make it much more difficult to relocate the plasma, which many people find they want to do sooner or later.

You should probably have the plywood and other hardware mounted before you call an electrician, so he can see exactly what needs to be done.

BTW, given the cost of electricians I would be inclined to fish the wiring through the wall myself, even though it would violate most building codes; or, alternatively, use surface-mount moldings to conceal the wiring, which would not violate code but would not be quite as invisible.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I agree mostly with Steuert that the metal studs are probably 'sheet metal'. This type of wall studs used more in commercial applications are 'C' shaped and of a thin gauge.

Aluminum Studs do exist and are many times more robust. Again these are almost always only used in commercial applications (and usually dated back 15-20 years or more). They are of the 'I' beam shape and are quite heavy gauge - by comparison. A building I use to work in had torn down a bunch of walls loaded with these and thru them in the dumpster........... I grabbed them up and cashed them in at the scrap yard.

Use of a very strong magnet, might help to differientiate. Or drill into one and see if the shavings are attracted to a magnet.

Aluminum I-beams would be very strong to attach to, provided you hit them in the right spot (just off center).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.