AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to building my 150" 16:9 AT screen for the living room. I had decided on an aluminum frame because it is straight, light, and never warps. But then I started thinking about metal studs and mocking up some ideas on paper. They are significantly less expensive than aluminum tubing and probably easier to find and work with for most folks on AVS.

I've searched a ton but can't find anyone who used metal studs for their AT frame (except MississippiMan for Calbear's 16' screen with drywall and paint , and a large structure by Tryg ).

Any ideas regarding the pros and cons of metal studs for my intended use?
(yes I know the AR dimensions in the graphic aren't correct and Phifer isn't spelled correctly - this is me "doodling")

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry if this a dumb question? What is the dimensions of the studding? 2x4? If it is the only drawback I could see is the size. I used the 1-1/2" square tubing and was pleased with the depth of my frame, it was a lot deeper then the wood one I had mocked up but because of how I mounted mine into the wall it wasn't a problem. So maybe depth might be a problem?

My build:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=891907

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/14261439

Sorry if this a dumb question? What is the dimensions of the studding? 2x4? If it is the only drawback I could see is the size.

Good question - let me elaborate...

The studs come in sizes just like regular dimensional lumber (equivalents of 2x4s in 8', 10', 12' lengths, etc). In my case, I will be "floating" the screen about 8"-10" away from the wall so I can fit some speakers behind it on a shelf. So, I'm not too concerned if the frame material is 2" deep or 8" deep.

In fact, I've been thinking about how to control the light that passes through the screen and ends up hitting the wall. Even though the wall will be a dark brown, an off axis viewer (sitting on my couch instead of my lazy boy in the prime spot) might be able to see reflections behind the screen. So I planned to wrap the distance (depth) between the frame and wall with black GOM - side view below. As a result, any frame depth behind the screen will be covered with GOM.

Code:
Code:
---|
   |
   |
   |
 G |
 O |
 M |
   |
 W |
 R |
 A |
 P |
   |
   |
   |
   |
   |
---|
Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/14261439

My build:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=891907

I followed your thread - very nice build!

I went to HD today and checked out the studs. I'm guessing the metal stud frame costs would be about $50, versus $200 for aluminum tubing. So I guess I'm really trying to figure out what other drawbacks there might be with metal studs...

Please shoot holes in my idea - I want to make sure I make the right decision.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good call on using a backing to reduce the light reflection you will see on your wall for certain. Before I had put a backing up you could see the picture clear as day behing my screen wall. You could also see the reflection of the door handle to the door that access' behind the screen.

I eventually got up some backing up and used speaker grill cloth, not sure if GOM would block out more of the light then the speaker grill cloth or not and I'm not sure of the price of GOM, my first guess would be that speaker grill cloth is cheaper?

I like the idea of the floating screen wall but 8" - 10" does sound like it will really be stick out there a lot. I understand your requirement for getting your speakers inbehind, I'm just struggling visualizing it. When I think black velvet frame and brown walls though, when looking directly on I think it will look good, it is those side seats again that it may look a little odd to. I know I've seen some shots of peoples back lit screens here, you know the ones with the rope lighting around the screen to enhance the "floating" look? I just don't think those were out that far, might be interesting to dig some of those up and ask.

Anyway, you motivated me to update the pics of my screen wall build, almost done the room, still have some white doors to paint brown and some baseboard to touch up, but I am just about there. I tried to grab some shots from behind the screen to show you how much light is leaking through with the backing, but it was hard to grab a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wall perpendicular to the left of the screen wall is about 19 feet long. It has 24" deep architectural niches throughout as well as a gas fireplace. Right where the screen wall meets up with it there are two niches that start 8" from the screen wall. So, the screen would be "floating" at about the same depth from the back wall as where the niches start.

Illustration not to scale...

Once I figured out the GOM (speaker cloth sounds better to me - thanks) wrapping aspect behind the frame I decided to do the rope lighting behind the frame.

And as for the side seats - well, 95% of the time it is me and the wife. We sit at around 17' from the screen. Sometimes my son will sit on the couch in a "side" seat about 10' back, but I'm not worried. If this were a dedicated room I'd do it completely differently. But this is a living room that opens in the back to a kitchen and breakfast nook. So almost all the viewing is within 45 degrees from the two prime seats, or the kitchen/bar/nook area.

I'm still not sure about the metal studs. It is really tempting...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts