AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to get a new display to put above my fireplace. I don't like the idea of having an ugly black screen above there when we're not watching anything.

To avoid that, I thought that I would have it act like a big picture frame, basically leaving it on all the time and showing a slide show from a HTPC.

Leaving it on most of the time and having it act as a picture frame, my concerns are the power consumption, longevity and viewing angle.

I think choosing LED solves the first 2 of these problems correct?

What about viewing angle? Are all LED displays the same as far as viewing angles go or is there something else I need to take into consideration?

Thanks,

~Eric

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20880800

Certainly sounds like a wacky idea to me, but if you're concerned about viewing angles, get a TV with an IPS panel.

Is there an easy way to tell what type of panel it is in a store?

Do only certain manufacturers have them?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyELF /forum/post/20883290

Is there an easy way to tell what type of panel it is in a store?

Do only certain manufacturers have them?

There is no easy way to tell without a magnifying glass or jewelers' loupe. Then, you have to know what you are looking for with respect to the configuration of the pixels. To be sure, do a Google search for IPS LCD Panels.

Yes, only certain manufacturers have them, notibly LG, Panasonic, and VIZIO. There may be others, but to the best of my knoweledge, Sony, Samsung, and Sharp do not make them. I should also note that Panasonic does not make LCD panels larger than 42".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20883907

There is no easy way to tell without a magnifying glass or jewelers' loupe. Then, you have to know what you are looking for with respect to the configuration of the pixels. To be sure, do a Google search for IPS LCD Panels.

Yes, only certain manufacturers have them, notibly LG, Panasonic, and VIZIO. There may be others, but to the best of my knoweledge, Sony, Samsung, and Sharp do not make them. I should also note that Panasonic does not make LCD panels larger than 42".

Good to know.... thanks.

I was planning on staying away from Sony anyway.

Looks like all Panasonics or at least the ones I could find are IPS. Couldn't tell which LG models were and weren't.

I'll re-evaluate my room and maybe viewing angle isn't as important as I think.

I can deal with brighness fading, but not the image going negative like some laptops do.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sony's monolithic design means the TV has one sheet of glass over the front which makes it look like a black picture frame when turned off. They have the NX720, HX820 and HX929 models this year with monolithic design. You could do a google search of these models to view images or go into their owners sub forums and see if they posted any pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.