AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there will always be something better. However, the next couple years will introduce some milestone standards of higher color space and gamut, color bit depth, contrast/HDR, and resolution. I think we can all agree these (with the arguable exception of resolution, though let's not paint that step child's head red just yet...) will be a hell of an evolution in unleashed picture quality, with said unleashing information even embedded in our source material (like Dolby Vision). So meta! Exciting times ahead, like the original jump from 480i/p to HD and all that went with it.

Having said that, anyone who is building their new dream home theater within the next year ain't gonna just sit in their new chairs, surrounded by their new speakers, staring at their new blank screen with no projector above them.

So, I'm thinking the smart play for anyone who needs a projected picture now (or within a couple years) is to go for the best price/performance deal out there (like an RS49?). Then, wait the aforementioned couple years and break my bank and usual convention for the new hotness that includes all of the above milestones...all performance, price be damned (within reason...you'll never find me in the 20k+ forum). Now is the time when price/performance, like, really matters.

Eh?

Signed,
-an 8-10 year front projector upgrader (not 2-3), someone who paid $7000 for a new 720p FP in 2004, and someone who will never, ever buy a VPL-VW350ES

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
I know there will always be something better. However, the next couple years will introduce some milestone standards of higher color space and gamut, color bit depth, contrast/HDR, and resolution. I think we can all agree these (with the arguable exception of resolution, though let's not paint that step child's head red just yet...) will be a hell of an evolution in unleashed picture quality, with said unleashing information even embedded in our source material (like Dolby Vision). So meta! Exciting times ahead, like the original jump from 480i/p to HD and all that went with it.

Having said that, anyone who is building their new dream home theater within the next year ain't gonna just sit in their new chairs, surrounded by their new speakers, staring at their new blank screen with no projector above them.

So, I'm thinking the smart play for anyone who needs a projected picture now (or within a couple years) is to go for the best price/performance deal out there (like an RS49?). Then, wait the aforementioned couple years and break my bank and usual convention for the new hotness that includes all of the above milestones...all performance, price be damned (within reason...you'll never find me in the 20k+ forum). Now is the time when price/performance, like, really matters.

Eh?

Signed,
-an 8-10 year front projector upgrader (not 2-3), someone who paid $7000 for a new 720p FP in 2004, and someone who will never, ever buy a VPL-VW350ES

Buying a JVC 4910 now and waiting 4 years for 4K / 4K Blu Ray to fully mature, isn't a bad idea. I'm certainly very happy with the latest Blu Rays - they look spectacular. So I would tend to agree with you. Good 1080p projectors like the HW55 and RS4910 really are a bargain, considering the picture you get for the price. 4K everything will no doubt command a premium price wise, for a few more years.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My preference would be to go with one of the latest iteration LED projectors under $10K for now -- no color wheel, single-chip DLP sharpness, no lamps to replace, instant on/off, low energy usage, low noise, good color/contrast/brightness -- then when all the future go-fast goodies come wrapped together with a 3-Laser 4K DLP (along with corresponding sources and software), I take out a second mortgage, horse trade with the wife on something equally costly that she may want, and pull the trigger on a theater upgrade that should do until I can't remember or care where the door to the theater is located.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
My preference would be to go with one of the latest iteration LED projectors under $10K for now -- no color wheel, single-chip DLP sharpness, no lamps to replace, instant on/off, low energy usage, low noise, good color/contrast/brightness -- then when all the future go-fast goodies come wrapped together with a 3-Laser 4K DLP (along with corresponding sources and software), I take out a second mortgage, horse trade with the wife on something equally costly that she may want, and pull the trigger on a theater upgrade that should do until I can't remember or care where the door to the theater is located.

It just so happens I've got one for sale at a great price. Anyone interested PM me. :)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Well I'm in a kind of holding pattern for these various video (and audio) upgrades in the next few years. I've just got a used X500(RS49?), I was forced to upgrade my Lumagen VP for a 4K upscaling version due to a fault on my old one and I've bought a very cheap audio processor so I can go back to using my player to decode HD sound tracks in 7.1. This will give me a great set up to enjoy existing 7.1 BluRay discs in the meantime.

However, I have a barrage of upgrades planned in the meantime: Mostly involving my room which needs more dark material to reduce image washout, some concealed acoustic treatment, a Dirac room eq processor and possibly an AT screen so I can better position my LCR. All these upgrades will provide a better base to build a future 4K/Atmos &/or DTS:X set up, and each upgrade will still give me an improvement while I wait for these more 'meta' upgrades to come along.

I've been an early adopter too many times in the past, but it won't stop me tweaking and improving my system while I watch and wait...

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
I generally agree with you OP. Considering I already have a great pic with my calibrated RS45, and great 3d with my DLP, I see zero logical reason to upgrade until 3-4 years from now when all this 4k dust settles and matures for a few generations AND gets to the 5k or under area. I am going to focus on some other upgrades until then like better speakers.

·
Registered
32,811 Posts

Eh?

Signed,
I agree exciting times are ahead, but I think it is going to be more like five years before we really see all of those items.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
We've got one for sale too. ;)
Haha, trust me when I say the Q750i is a substantial bump in overall PQ compared to the Nero 20th. The larger DC4 .95" DMD with higher native and dynamic contrast, a far better dynamic LED dimming implementation, better ootb color performance, build quality, DCI color gamut support, better video processing, and lens quality is all a big bump up over the Nero 20th. :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
I agree exciting times are ahead, but I think it is going to be more like five years before we really see all of those items.
Five is more like it, as a minimum - especially if you are betting on wow factors like HDR on big screen. Quite a few things have to come together before one can declare something has really come and is here to stay - production equipment, HDR capable projectors (perhaps second generation, if you are 10 year upgrade cycle - avoid industry teething pains), content, supporting HT equipment. It is all relative. I will enjoy my VW300 for 5-7 year not missing much, in practice and nail what could be a direct laser HDR machine or a light 120" panel of some sort... In any case, it will be leapfrogging all similarly priced PJs purchased 2-3 years from now.

Everyone can justify their own approach - there is no right or wrong as it is based on preferences and other stuff.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point. 1-2 years definitely doesn't seem feasible (was originally erroneously thinking in TV years instead of PJ years). That makes Pete's suggestion all the more interesting. A sub 10k LED DLP sounds very attractive. I loved my Sharp 12k and almost never saw rainbows. I was shocked when I saw them all the time my 20k that I got to replace it.

All the stuff Pete mentioned, plus little-to-no crosstalk 3D sounds pretty good to me for a 5 year plan. Just need to make sure them LEDs can light up a big screen!

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
It's looking to me like this may be the first time I go past the 2 year point in sticking with a projector (JVC RS57).
The picture is spectacular. Black levels finally good enough to *almost* make me satisfied. I'm not hot and bothered about 4K at this point, until much more source material, especially movies, make it worth my while. For now my upgraditus has turned to audio. I've grabbed a pair of high-end speakers I've wanted for years, and of course the hobby doesn't end there.
There's only so many hobbies I can feed at one time.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts

Horse trading with my wife would not be a very good idea. She would get a thoroughbred the likes of Secretariat and I, in return, would get a mule retired because of old age from the Grand Canyon trail from the rim to the river.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Horse trading with my wife would not be a very good idea. She would get a thoroughbred the likes of Secretariat and I, in return, would get a mule retired because of old age from the Grand Canyon trail from the rim to the river.
Always ask for stuff on your birthday, or when they are drunk and after satisfying them in bed. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
It's looking to me like this may be the first time I go past the 2 year point in sticking with a projector (JVC RS57).
The picture is spectacular. Black levels finally good enough to *almost* make me satisfied. I'm not hot and bothered about 4K at this point, until much more source material, especially movies, make it worth my while. For now my upgraditus has turned to audio. I've grabbed a pair of high-end speakers I've wanted for years, and of course the hobby doesn't end there.
There's only so many hobbies I can feed at one time.
I hear you :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Also factor in we'll be waiting even longer for a fair amount of content to take advantage the new tech

Will there be more than one or two 4K tv channels in 2 years time?
Will there be more than a couple dozen 4K BD's that are not just upscaled catalog titles in 2 yrs time?
Will you be fortunate to live somewhere (if stateside) where non starved 4K content delivery over the internet is a reality for more than a test clip or two in 2 yrs time?

It's going to take a long time for the content to catch up as the medium is cost intensive and the market is pretty small

1 - 20 of 28 Posts