AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry for asking what I'm sure is a very dumb question, but I've gotten some conflicting advice today, and I'd like to ask the experts.

I purchased a new receiver today (an Onkyo 806) and it has a powered zone B.

I have a set of Kef Q90s as my main speakers. Each speaker has four posts, two positive and two negative. I'd like to bi-amp them by sending the output from Zone A to the top posts and the output from Zone B to the bottom posts.

I asked about 5 people at Circuit City/Best Buy today whether that was a good idea. Two said I'd destroy my speakers, two said it was a great idea and that that's what the 4 posts were designed for, and the last person said it was fine but wouldn't make a difference.

Who's right? Is this a safe experiment to try? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Does the manual give instructions on Bi-amping? Usually a second zone is set up to listen to another source independently of the main.

CD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was just reading that as you responded; thanks. So it looks like I can bi-amp as long as I don't have a 7.1 system, since the bi-amping uses the back surrounds.

That's fine, for now, since I don't have the full 7 speakers yet anyway. It seems like it'd be a bad idea to try A+B to bi-amp, since there's no mention of that in the manual?

As for whether or not I'll hear a difference, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
871 Posts
most of the time those a/b things actually split the power from one amp so your probably not going to gain anything by going that route.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I think there is a terminology disconnect here:

* bi-amp = use two amp channels to power one speaker

* A+B = powering two separate pairs of main/front speakers at the same time (no matter how many amp channels you are using to do it)

-Max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts