AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I just finished Season 1 of '24'. I couldn't stop watching... virtually non-stop marathon of '24'.

I loved the entire thing, but the ending was ridiculous. It was quite possibly the worst ending I've seen... it was the classic example of employing shock for shock's sake. After overcoming adversity and fall after fall... I don't care if its 'expected,' but it only makes sense for Jack to save his wife.

Anyway I could whine for hours about that... it was just absolutely ridiculous. It reminds me of an anime series I watched a while ago called "Berserk." People who have seen it know what I'm talking about.

Regardless of that... I'm tempted to pick up Season 2. Is it as 'good' as Season 1? And (without ANY spoilers) is the ending equally dissatisfying?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Jack is better positioned for future years after the end of season one (which you should go back and fix as a spoiler in this thread). One of the endearing features of this series is the unpredictable nature of the plot twists. As to the question you raised, take a look at the special features in season 1 where the producers talk about the ending, and alternate endings are shown.

I'm deep into season 2, and it is better than season 1. Unfortunately, I saw last year's shows (season 4) first, and that is when I became hooked - out of sequence - yet the series even now holds a lot of surprises despite my knowing who is still around later. I've never had so much fun being manipulated as a viewer.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alternate ending was even worse IMO.

How do you mean 'better positioned?'

What do I need to fix about the spoiler? I put it in the title.

I love unpredictable films (I perceived this as a 24 hour film, rather than a TV series). And I don't mind depressing endings (Scorsese is one of my fav directors, if that says anything).

But I found it to be totally out of sync with the series as a whole. I'd have to watch it again - but it also didn't make much sense that Nina was the mole to me (considering her behavior throughout the series).

I will say however, in the end when she looks into the camera... that is one of the most chilling moments in film. It felt as if she was boring into my soul... I wanted to get up and punch her in the face. I also wanted to slap Palmer's wife... I've never disliked a fictional character more than her. That was satisfying as hell when he dumped her and his speech writer.

I guess I felt the ending was rushed. They needed another hour to wrap things up. Does the first episode of Season 2 pick up the day after Season 1? Please don't delve into any details... a simple yes or no will suffice ;).

Thanks for your feedback btw.

Is there a release date on the DVD of Season 4?

::end rant::

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Season 2 does NOT pick up right after season 1. None of the seasons do.

I saw seasons 2 & 3, then 1 and then 4. I would rank them as follows:

Season 1

Season 4

Season 2

Season 3

It's close on 2 and 4 for me, I would almost rank them the same except that season 2 had a bit too much soap opera for my liking.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Kim's story didn't fit in to the overall story at all either which I found annoying
(That's a VERY minor spoiler, some would probably even say it's not one but I'll leave it up to you to decide.)

I thought things were going down hill after season 3 though. It has some good stuff but overall it's not on par with the other seasons at all for me.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
this show for me is one of the best on tv, and its even gaining in the ratings, becaue more people are getting hooked week to week. I love the realtime effect, and even after watching season 1 again I still feel the effect .

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
How do you mean 'better positioned?'
As a single man he can get into more situations with other female characters. Plus the death of his wife gives him new motivations. You will see Nina again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I too felt that the ending in season 1 was cheap. It was unsatisfying. But it is what it is. Even in the commentary the producers felt they had to kill the wife to meet expectations of the show, so there is no good reason for her death. And the ending was poorly done, they pretty much left us hanging. But now I’m watching season 2 and so far it’s pretty good. Thank goodness for these DVDs!

I haven’t seen all of season 2 or 3 yet, but I did see season 4 and I feel it is better than season 1. The ending was much better than season 1, but again not so satisfying... so you can come back and watch next year!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
After watching the first season I thought it was a screwed up thing to do but now I'm glad they did what they did. If he didn't lose his wife the following seasons would have had a different Jack. The character is totally out there on the edge and that is what made the show interesting for me. If only they got rid of Kim at the end of the first season.

·
Registered
28,311 Posts
I think a good bit of the show's popularity can directly be traced to what they did with Terry at the end of the first season. It showed they were willing to knock anybody off anytime, and they were willing to turn the "happy ending" concept upside down. In addition, it was totally within Nina's character to act so ruthlessly when she found herself cornered. When the end episode was first telecast, the raves were overwhelming. Personally, I loved it! And it did give Jack more dramatic possibilities for subsequent seasons, as has been mentioned.

So, in summation, yes you are a wimp. :p

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I didn't agree with that ending either until I realized why they did it after I watched Seasons 2 and 3. Watch all of the seasons and it won't be so dumb to you.

Season 3 was my favorite..

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay.... I'll give the 2nd season a shot. Any news on when the 4th will be out on DVD? Is there a 5th season?

Sorry but I'm not into TV at all... I just stumbled upon this series on DVD and got sucked in.

·
Registered
28,070 Posts
I vote wimp.

The European version of the last episode has an extra scene where Teri tells Nina she's pregnant, so Nina shoots her in the stomach. That b*tch has ice in her veins!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
Okay.... I'll give the 2nd season a shot. Any news on when the 4th will be out on DVD? Is there a 5th season?
I hear season 4 suppose to be out this Dec, with the 5th season airing in Jan 2006.

The telecast of 24 is in HD on FOX HD. It aint so bad at all watching it that way! :D

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
The European version of the last episode has an extra scene where Teri tells Nina she's pregnant, so Nina shoots her in the stomach. That b*tch has ice in her veins!
Holy s!*#, that's just wrong!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan
Any ideas on what S5 is about? With the way it ended in S4 I can't imagine how their going to do it.
Here is what the producers say about season 5 in a recent interview in TV Guide:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Jack will probably be somewhere in Mexico, out of action. We will see how much Jack has changed from the way season 4 ended, a year later, and a bit of how he's living. But it wont be long before Jack will be back on the saddle. So Jack will be back. How that happens I don’t know.

Tony, Michelle and Chloe have been confirmed to be returning as well.

Thats all I know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One thing is for sure.... the producers sure dislike blondes.....The blondes are portrayed as plain dumb while the the smart ones are anything but dumb. Check out season 2 & 3. Sheesh..I fast forward whenever the blondes appear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.