AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up a Samsung PN58B540 from Sams. It was that or a 52" 2009 B610 LCD Sammy model.

I keep reading burn in is an issue, and then not it isn't, so here are my standard usages

Usual usage is 10-15 hrs a day.

Combination of SD (Stretched) and HD channels. Some have their little logos and others don't.

Anywhere from two to four hours of gaming on a PS3 & Wii (RockBand, COD)

Now I understand that these sets need to get some hours on them before long use, but am I asking for problems by going this route?

I liked how it looked compared to the 52" LCD, but if I'm going to have to baby it and worry about burn-in than I may take it back and get the 52" Sammy.

This is replacing a 3yr old 46" Sammy LCD that I have had Zero issues with.

TIA.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I wouldnt leave a standard still background of a video game on there for extended periods of time in the first 150-200 hrs of the tv's life but other then that you shouldnt have any problems at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You'll be fine. I have the PN50B650 and use it similarly and have no burn in problems. You will notice temporary image retention every once and awhile, like where the black bars are for a widescreen movie, but it goes away after a few seconds of full screen viewing. I haven't noticed any IR with TV station logos or things like that.

I use the pixel orbiter with the maximum size fyi.

It is kind of worrisome, and I'm personally still trying to get over it (after coming from a 3 year-old Samsung LCD), but you really don't have to worry about burn in.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was just getting concerned as with our kids they usually watch nick during the day and they have their stupid logo in the bottom. We end up averaging about 4-5 years on a TV, so maybe we'll be OK.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
use the 16:9 picture size, set pixel shift to 4-4-1, and use movie mode/warm 2 and you should have no issues. i have the 58B560 which is pretty much the same display and i game on it quite a bit and have no issues. i see some slight IR from time to time, but it goes away very quickly.

the worst i have seen was the one time i played Gran Turismo 5P for about 2-3 hours on the "screen fit" picture size. the "screen fit" picture size turns off the pixel shift feature and i had forgot i had it on that screen size. ooops! even still, i ran the scrolling thing for about 15-20 minutes and any evidence was completely gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts