AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 37" 720p LCD w/8ms response time. I watch OTA broadcast channels (almost 90% of viewing will be shows that are HD).

I watched the NFL playoffs this weekend and thought the picture was great when showing the sidelines and when there was no fast action. My concern came during the action. I don't see trails behind the ball or players, but things became much less sharp. Is this normal? Is it caused by the camera or broadcast more so than the TV? I also noticed the sharpness of reading the players jerseys became less so when the camera was further away from the player (player smaller on the screen). Is that normal? I also noticed that you could see tiny details on the person when standing around, but when they move the details become blurred.

Could I have some setting on? (my set contains none of the motion enhancers that I know of)

I'm considering returning the set for a 32" (size concerns by the other half and it is a small room that makes the 37" look huge. we came from a 25" CRT). If going to a 32" I might be able to afford a 1080p. Would that help my issues any?

Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDennis /forum/post/15465569

My concern came during the action. I don't see trails behind the ball or players, but things became much less sharp.

It's possibel there's some setting off (you haven't provided which set you have, or even the mfr, but I'd probably not be familiar with it even if you had), but last time I saw this on a friend's set it looked to me like there wasn't enough bandwidth from his cable provider...

When you say OTA, do you really mean OTA, or from cable? or satellite?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Pixelation and clarity loss are the result of the quality of the signal you are receiving. Maybe it's weak if you are receiving it from an antenna. Or if cable, they are compressing the signal too much. I have a 720p LCD, and get no pic problems and a 1080p DLP, also no problems, because we get an uncompressed HD signal with Verizon FIOS.

When we had Comcast, there was lots of pixelation, with the same tv (DLP) same cables, etc.

It's the signal quality.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDennis /forum/post/15465569

My concern came during the action. I don't see trails behind the ball or players, but things became much less sharp. Is this normal? Is it caused by the camera or broadcast more so than the TV?

You could be seeing sample and hold blur, which is caused by the way an LCD screen makes the image. Some of the blur is probably being caused by the camera or the broadcast, but you may be seeing this blur as well which causes anything in motion to look like it is out of focus, even on 60fps 1080p uncompressed video feeds.

http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/707gear/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts