AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My real problem is with V, Inc. tech support/customer service but here's my hardware problem: the loader in my ~1 year old D1 has crapped out. It will open/close most of the time but there's a loud clicking and it sounds like mechanically it's failing and as a result no DVD will load up. I have never replaced the loader in order to ensure that if it does fail it would be fixable/replaceable under the warranty.

Now here's my real problem, the first D1 I bought was on 8/15/03 (back with the original AVSFORUM deal), but it soon had major problems and I sent it back and received a REPLACEMENT D1 on approximately ~9/15/03, 1 month later. I assumed the new player would have a 1 year warranty as well. Nope, it's from the date of purchase. I first contacted V, Inc. in the middle of September of this year to request an RMA#, and was given one and that upon receipt they would give me a repair estimate. A REPAIR ESTIMATE?! I was astonished. As any owner of a D1 knows, you have to be flexible with them to put up with the litany of problems with the D1, but they're going to pull a technicality and lawyerspeak on ME? They can't stand behind the quality of the replacement product for one year? Needless to say, I told tech support I will not be purchasing any further V,Inc. products (like the D3 :( ) and they had lost a formerly loyal customer.

It really irks me that they expected their D1 customers to put up with all the problems they were having for a year, that no consumer device in the mass market would have ever survived, but they're not going to work with me after all the patience and loyalty I showed, to ensure their DVD player works for at least a year. The point is their lame warranty was for 1 year and neither D1 I received lasted for 1 year, PERIOD!

Now having spoken my mind, I had an extra computer DVD-ROM in one of my computers and I was able to verify that the problem is totally the loader and it does work (except it sounds like your standing behind a turboprop while playing). I guess I'll go read up in the "replaced loader" thread again to see if there any new drives out there people are using. But I will not be doing business with V, Inc. again and wanted to know if anyone had any advice or thought I was being unreasonable. Cheers.

· Registered
499 Posts
I think you'll find that most warranties work this way. The date of purchase is almost always the date that the warranty is based upon. One of the reasons for this is to keep people from 'breaking' their product in the last month of the warranty over and over again - effectively getting an indefinite warranty.

You made an assumption, it was wrong. I think V is well within their rights and are being fair.

· Registered
16,407 Posts
But the bigger issue is why do most of their players break within 1 year (there are literally dozens of such threads).

· Registered
1,652 Posts
The replacement player was their method of administering the original and only warranty you have or deserve. You original purchase included a 12 month warranty and that is all you paid for. Warranty coverage corresponds to your original purchase date and is not extended by a warranty event. Mitsubishi has a 3 year replacement policy for their projectors but that does not mean you get a new 3 year warranty if you receive a replacement. I would not characterize V's actions as lawyer-speak at all nor is there even a hint of unethical behavior in their conduct. There are risks assumed when you buy a product that has no track record. I do think you are being unreasonable by expecting V to extend the warranty beyond its term but I don't think it is unreasonable for you to not buy their products again due to the large numbers of defective products they sell.

· Registered
8,948 Posts
Did you make the original purchase with a Visa card? If so it probably doubled your warranty through them, and they will pay for the repair. Some other CCs will do the same, so check with them.

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the opinions. BradJudy and leckian I understand that under strict interpretation V, Inc. is within their rights, and I would call that lawyerspeak. I made the purchase on 8/15/03 but didn't receive a fully functioning player until 9/15/03 (the replacement). In which case, V, Inc should have to honor the warranty when I contacted them last month. I lost that first month on the warranty because they sent me a defective drive in the first place.

Yeah I know about all the threads BillP. I think they are being slightly unethical. They know they had a problem with the loader, yet they chose to continue to sell defective players (cashflow). The ethical business practice would be to replace the loaders until they sort out the problem. Not, hope it lasts a year so we're no longer responsible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.