AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to get some expert opinions on whether or not I'm calibrating my TV correctly. My TV is the Samsung QE60R 4K QLED, and I'm using a basic Spears & Munsil 2nd edition disc.

First of all for brightness I turn brightness down till both the below black bars disappear, I also make sure the checkerboard patterns at level 17 disappear, then up them enough till they just reaapear. I do this up close the the screen too.

For Contrast I reduce it till I can see all shades of white, but leave 255 just barely visible, however going that high causes the whites to become pink, so it does go lower in order to get them back grey again.

Gamma. My control is a BT.1886 slider, with 0 being default going in a -1 +1 fashion. The norm seems to be to leave it alone, but I adjust it till the 2% above bar gets as dark as possible, the continue with how I do brightness from there.

Does this sound right to you, or am I going wrong somewhere?

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Sounds about right, but I wouldn't adjust the gamma that way since it impacts everything not just that 2% bar.

I would leave it at default unless you have a way to measure it with a light meter.

(1886 or 2.4 in a dark room should work well, 2.2 in a room with light.)

About the pink whites: That's a color temperature / gray scale issue, one would surmise, and your technique of turning the contrast down a little is a good one, unless you have a light meter to measure the grayscale and adjust it. As long as you keep contrast set in a way that at least bar 235 is visible, you are good. (It is nice to have a few more bars visible, but I wouldn't worry unless you have to go below 235, which is the standard for "max white".)

And of course this is all for SDR, like 1080p HD.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds about right, but I wouldn't adjust the gamma that way since it impacts everything not just that 2% bar.

I would leave it at default unless you have a way to measure it with a light meter.

(1886 or 2.4 in a dark room should work well, 2.2 in a room with light.)

About the pink whites: That's a color temperature / gray scale issue, one would surmise, and your technique of turning the contrast down a little is a good one, unless you have a light meter to measure the grayscale and adjust it. As long as you keep contrast set in a way that at least bar 235 is visible, you are good. (It is nice to have a few more bars visible, but I wouldn't worry unless you have to go below 235, which is the standard for "max white".)

And of course this is all for SDR, like 1080p HD.
Thanks Nathan. I should say as well when I switch the colour space in the player to RGB instead of the normal YCBCR, the pink Grey's don't happen as soon, for example with with YCBCR, with max being 50, my contrast should be 37 to get them back grey, but with RGB, it's 46 lol.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Based on measurements and calibration of my Q90R using equipment, you're best off leaving SDR Movie mode at defaults: Color Tone Warm2, Brightness 0, Contrast 45, Color 25, Tint 0, Gamma BT.1886+0, Color Space Auto. Local DImming either Low or Standard, alter Backlight to suit. To do better you really want to alter White Balance and Color Space Settings using equipment. If you can see up to 235 with default Contrast, and ideally just a little higher, then I wouldn't alter it; I'd say real content above 235 is so rare that it's not worth sacrificing 16-235 dynamic range (which is what happens when you lower Contrast) to try to get any higher.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
For RGB, make sure you have level consistency (16-235 vs 0-255) between the player and the display (HDMI Black Level setting).

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For RGB, make sure you have level consistency (16-235 vs 0-255) between the player and the display (HDMI Black Level setting).
Thanks Thoth, I'll readjust my display to bt1886 0, because right now it's at -3 it's lowest lol, and re set brightness from there. Gamma has always been the the most difficult one to set out of all the controls without test equipment for me, and finding test images ain't easy either.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys, sorry for bringing this back but I have a question about black level and the brightness setting.

My Samsung TV the q60r, it doesn't have the best viewing angle, so when displaying a pluge pattern, if I move to either side, the blacks become noticibly brighter. For now, I've been setting it while looking at level 17 straight ahead, but what should I actually be doing?

Should I set it so I'm looking directly in front of it, or should I move to the side if I can still see it and adjust till barely visible? Next TV upgrade I'm definitely gonna find a TV with a steady viewing angle.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Assuming you sit in front of it to watch you should sit there to view calibration patterns.
That's what I thought, also what about distance, I usually get right up to the screen for it but is that bad or ok?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts