Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Can someone help me rationalize what I recently saw:

Fujitsu 55" with an Arcam DV78 running S-Video.

The picture quality, richness, color, "filmlike" quality...everything was stellar. I stood 3 ' from the screen and it still looked amazing.

I have seen Fujitsu 50", 3-15k Projectors and other Plasma screens running component video, HDMI, DVD players with Upconversion, etc. and they ALL have not looked this good.

Does this have to do with the DVD disc quality? Are the other components, cables, etc. outputting too much so that they are showing the DVD's "imperfections"?

I'm going to pre-wire my new home soon for HT and am now considering a different DVD player and connections...

Or do I just need to get my eyes checked?!?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Fujitsu plasmas have excellent de-interlacing and scaling (AVM) that beats the elecronics in many progressive DVD Players, so its no wonder that s-video interlaced is so good.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joxer...So if I use a Panny 7UY plasma in place of the Fujitsu (budget reasons) and connected S-Video with the same DVD Player, would the results come somewhat close or would this be reason to use component video from almost any decent DVD player?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
Some people suggest using S-video when watching SDTV over a hi-res display such as an HD plasma since the S-video signal will effectively filter and soften the image, thus hiding the inherent defects in the image.

The biggest portion of the color enhancement among the various cabling schemes comes in the step from Composite video up to S-video. As far as colors go, the next step up, Component video produces a noticeable but more modest improvement. The next step up -- HDMI or DVI digital connection, doesn't improve the color pallette that much although the particular source device you are using might use less color-signal filtering via that output. That is, the digital connection may increase the color bandwidth closer to the luminance bandwidth.

--Bob

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
SVHS is 480i, which is the same as component cable's original dvd resolution, before the addition of 480p (progressive), alot of people don't know that. Though feeding 480i over component is thought to give a stronger, cleaner signal because of the better cabling.

Since you are feeding the most pure data stream from the dvd to the display's upscaler, this actually makes alot of sense.

SDI modded players, output 480i to the $1000+ DIDO customer ICSCANs for the ISCAN to process clean dvd source without adding any extra conversions along the way to the final display on the screen. They are considered to give about as good an image as it gets.

Unless I have having a huge memory lapse the source code on a standard dvd is 480i. So pure clean dvd source information is being sent to the panels upscaler for ONE conversion to the final resolution.

·
Banned
529 Posts
I've found that there is not that much difference in PQ between feeding my Sammy 50" DLP TV a 480i signal via S-Video and a 480p signal via component from a DVD player. I suppose they both end up at the TVs native resolution of 720p. If anything, the S-Video signal is a little brighter which can actually be desirable for daytime viewing as I have a bright room.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again everyone for all the input. I am going to make sure that both connections are available. From what I have now learned, the S-Video output now makes sense. As I will be prewiring shortly, I will run both connections in the event the technology changes (as we all know it will).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.