AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 13' W x 45' L home theatre room in my basement. I have a 7 channel surround setup with no subs. My front towers have dual 8" woofers each and have worked great but I want more bass.

I have stuffed 4 solobaric 10" squares in my dakota and have been a car stereo buff for years. My current dakota setup is 900W for mids/highs, 2250W for 4 subs. I love my music!

I currently have qty 5 MTX 10" round subs collecting dust in my basement and wanted to build a custom enclosure to house all 5.

Questions - Am I crazy?? My theatre is 3 rows of seating and no matter where I place the box of 5 it will probably sound strange, or if I built 5 smaller boxes and placed them properly around the room the wiring turns ugly fast.

Should I just ebay all of the 10's and buy a single larger 15" or 18"? The parts express 15" titanic kit looks like fun.

Please chime in and provide constructive feedback

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Definitely ebay em off and apply that money towards 1 or 2 good HT subs. What you have in mind sounds like a fun project but it's just not optimal. That's a pretty big room so I would definitely go with at least 2 subs. Couple of 18.1's spread out could work nicely. If you did sell em off and bought some HT subs posting your budget would also help.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan-Sr20-Man /forum/post/19522738

I currently have a 13' W x 45' L home theatre room in my basement. I have a 7 channel surround setup with no subs. My front towers have dual 8" woofers each and have worked great but I want more bass.

I have stuffed 4 solobaric 10" squares in my dakota and have been a car stereo buff for years. My current dakota setup is 900W for mids/highs, 2250W for 4 subs. I love my music!

I currently have qty 5 MTX 10" round subs collecting dust in my basement and wanted to build a custom enclosure to house all 5.

Questions - Am I crazy?? My theatre is 3 rows of seating and no matter where I place the box of 5 it will probably sound strange, or if I built 5 smaller boxes and placed them properly around the room the wiring turns ugly fast.

Should I just ebay all of the 10's and buy a single larger 15" or 18"? The parts express 15" titanic kit looks like fun.

Post in the DIY forum, they'll have input.

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan-Sr20-Man

Your basic idea isn't crazy - heck I've got four 18" drivers in my HT and I wouldn't begin to crack the crazy zone around here.

I do agree that yo should look at drivers that are better suited to HT.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've got 2 10" drivers in each of my front channels, so 5 isn't out of the question... Of course those 10's are supplemented with 2x 18" drivers as well... So, crazy? Not really. You will get SPL out of them, but i'm guessing not the frequency extension you're looking for that a larger diameter speaker can provide.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Do you have the t/s parameters for those 10's? Some of us diy'ers could model you enclosures. Or you can try. Download winisd and play around with it some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please see attached PDF's

Qty - 2 - 4 Ohm Speakers

Qty - 3 - 12 Ohm Speakers

I do not have any modeling software to try my designs. I have historically used manufacture sizes to get basic idea for auto sub box's. This type of enclosure would be built solely for low freq response, not SPL as my other auto boxes are for. If anyone has any links to some free modeling software hook me up.

I expect these 10's to be weak way down low, hence the saying "there is no replacement for displacement"

Thanks in advance.

MTX 10 Inch 4 Ohm T6104A.pdf 25.279296875k . file

MTX 10 Inch 12 Ohm T61012A.pdf 25.39453125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Tried to model the 4ohm drivers but winisd didnt like it for some reason. It accepted the parameters but wouldnt actually put anything on the graph. I'm not an expert on it so someone else may want to give it a try

1 - 9 of 9 Posts