AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my setup, still in the works. I am having trouble with the speaker selection. So many people give glowing reviews on the Polk M70 especially for the price. I am thinking on going with M70 for R and L, M30 for rear and sides, and CS20 for center. I like a lot of base so I am looking at the SVS PB12-NSD for the sub. The sub costs almost as much as the rest of the speakers. Is this overkill on the amp or underkill on the rest of the speakers? Should I stay with the Polk series sub?, but I hear it can be weak. I am also looking at Aperion speakers, but they are obviously more expensive. Receiver is Denon AVR-1910. I am going to try without an amp at first, but I am willing to purchase if necessary. This is a dedicated HT, in a 16X18 room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,194 Posts

Quote:
Is this overkill on the amp or underkill on the rest of the speakers?

By "amp" do you mean subwoofer? I'm a little confused.


The Monitor 70's are heavily discounted and the SVS Sub isn't. You're not coming close to paying list price for the speakers. If you have a room that needs a big sub to reach the volume levels you want, then stick with it.


Don't get a Polk subwoofer, you'll be disappointed in its performance especially compared to something like a SVS sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
I'm confused...by "amp" to you mean the powered subwoofer amp....or do you mean an external power amplifier for the front 3 channels ? From the context of your question, I think you mean "powered subwoofer amp" ????


Your Denon AVR-1910 does not have pre-out connectors to support an external power amp for your regular speakers.


Any why the CS20 center channel (for the Polk TSi series) instead of the CS2 for the Monitor series....the CS2 matches the Monitor 70's exactly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm87 /forum/post/18184108


Here is my setup, still in the works. I am having trouble with the speaker selection. So many people give glowing reviews on the Polk M70 especially for the price. I am thinking on going with M70 for R and L, M30 for rear and sides, and CS20 for center. I like a lot of base so I am looking at the SVS PB12-NSD for the sub. The sub costs almost as much as the rest of the speakers. Is this overkill on the amp or underkill on the rest of the speakers? Should I stay with the Polk series sub?, but I hear it can be weak. I am also looking at Aperion speakers, but they are obviously more expensive. Receiver is Denon AVR-1910. I am going to try without an amp at first, but I am willing to purchase if necessary. This is a dedicated HT, in a 16X18 room.

Well, for starters, the sub has it's own built in power amp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
wow, "afrogt" and I bumped heads to the minute - and strangly enough, we are both "confused". Actually, that is a fairly normal state for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with buying good subwoofer. Better you spend more money on the subwoofer than the receiver...my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to clear things up when I said amp, it was 3 channel amp for the front speakers. I do realize the sub has built in amp. You are correct on the center speaker, I will get the one that matches the rest of the speaker family. So really it sounds like I am not too far off. I thought the receiver did have preouts, but if not I will bump the receiver up to a model that does have them. Thanks again for your help. Really I shouldn't be scared of the Polk cause they are cheaper????



***edit**

Crap that receiver does not have pre outs. I am looking for the cheapest receiver that has Audyssey MultEQ and preouts and they aren't looking that cheap anymore.



Well looks like the Onkyo TX-SR707 has the preouts with the Audyssey which is only $150 more then the Denon above. Not too bad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm87 /forum/post/18184759


Sorry to clear things up when I said amp, it was 3 channel amp for the front speakers. I do realize the sub has built in amp. You are correct on the center speaker, I will get the one that matches the rest of the speaker family. So really it sounds like I am not too far off. I thought the receiver did have preouts, but if not I will bump the receiver up to a model that does have them. Thanks again for your help. Really I shouldn't be scared of the Polk cause they are cheaper????



***edit**

Crap that receiver does not have pre outs. I am looking for the cheapest receiver that has Audyssey MultEQ and preouts and they aren't looking that cheap anymore.



Well looks like the Onkyo TX-SR707 has the preouts with the Audyssey which is only $150 more then the Denon above. Not too bad.

You can still get a Onkyo 706 for cheap. it has pre outs and MultEQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 /forum/post/18185080


You can still get a Onkyo 706 for cheap. it has pre outs and MultEQ

Isnt the 707 a little better, more HDMI and better Audyssy and I can get it cheaper it looks like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
by the time you get to a receiver in the price class of a Onkyo SR706/707 or Denon 2310, you will not "need" an external power amp for a 16x18 room and Polk Monitor 70 tower fronts (along with a CS2). The Monitors are efficient speakers and easily driven by receivers with less power than the mid-level ones you will be considering just to get pre-outs.


I really think your money is better spent getting "enough" receiver with the features you truly need, the Polk Monitors, and a good subwoofer like the SVS.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top