AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I closing in on a purchase(P61310) and he has good prices (plus price matching) and very good prices on warrantees.

Once I get the set with the service I will not have to interface with them again anyway.

Am I missing something? I am not sure if its the name or the fact that I seem to recall them filing for bankruptcy a while ago. Does anyone have any first had experience?

[This message has been edited by B Smooth (edited 06-25-2001).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used Crazy Eddie for my Pioneer Elite 36 VXT Receiver. No problems at all. My roommate also used Crazy Eddie for his Denon 4800, no problems either.

I got the extended warranty since the price was good, and since you're saving so much on top, it is a good idea. The warranty company is a 3rd party so if something happens to Crazy Eddie, you still have the warranty...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a Toshiba 65H80 from Crazy Eddie. The price was right, but I was nervous about getting such a big ticket item from them. Everything turned out well. They delivered 4 days after my order and the set is working great.

The only downside was that the set was a pre-Jan. manufacture date which means it's missing the 3:2 pulldown feature.

Good luck!

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toyman,

Did you know to ask for a post January set? If I asked could they check or is sales disconnected from shipping?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I asked the salesperson at Crazy Eddie specifically for a post-Jan manufacture date. He said it should be no problem since they move so many units. Unfortunately, mine turned out to be a Sept 2000 manufacture date. I am guessing that sales is disconnected from the shipping/inventory, but I may have had better luck if I was more firm with the request (i.e. "I'm not buying it unless it's manufactured after Jan 21).

Usually I would not hesitate to complain to Crazy Eddie, but since the 65H80 was such a pain to move into the house I figured I would just cross my fingers and hope Toshiba actually comes through with the free upgrade.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The business is being run by Eddie's Brother Allen and Grandkids.

"The original Crazy Eddie experienced meteoric success before being forced to close in 1989. Allen, Eddie, and brother Mitchell were slapped with a variety of fraud and racketeering charges in 1992 stemming from the chain's IPO in 1984.

Eddie and Mitchell were convicted, while Allen was acquitted. Eddie was sentenced to 151 months in prison and fined $121 million. Eddie eventually fled from the authorities, was captured in Israel, and was extradited to the United States."

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toyman:
I am guessing that sales is disconnected from the shipping/inventory, ......

You are correct. I have been to their warehouse/sales space in central NJ.

They get items from many different sources and inventory very little.

They have connections at other stores(for instance, Pioneer Elite dealers) that purchase for them. I bought a couple items from them and got fast service and great prices. But they do sell items that they are not authorized for. I do not know how this affects the warranty. I took a shot with them in purchasing an elite 301 cd changer. When I went to pick it up at the warehouse, the driver had just picked it up from another dealer(they ripped off the shipping label on the box to protect the authorized dealer). I am happy with the unit but do not know if my warranty would be honored if I have problems. It seems the gamble paid off for the cd unit.

However, I was not comfortable enough with them to purchase my Elite HDTV, but they did offer me the best price.

baimo

·
Registered
277 Posts
I will never use them again.

I bought a Philips Pronto remote, was promised it would be shipped the next day, and every day that I called back over the next week I was told "hasn't shipped yet, will ship tomorrow", or else simply told that the shipping department wasn't reachable so they couldn't even tell me if it had shipped and I should call again tomorrow.

I finally decided to cancel my order, but it turned out that they got lucky; they had shipped it the day I called to cancel, and had the tracking number.

So to summarize: They were dishonest, unable to track their own shipments, and generally slippery.

I can cut someone some slack if they have problems tracking or whatever if they are making a legitimate effort. But outright lying, as they did to me, is inexcusable and makes it impossible to make a deal with them.

-Tom

·
Registered
799 Posts
What is the real impact of using someone like this? How do you get your set serviced if something fails? What if you get a lemon?

I'd be up for saving $2000 on a Pioneer Elite 610HD (the local store lists it at ~$6750 and Crazy Eddie shows $4750). What does anyone else think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by weldon:
What is the real impact of using someone like this? How do you get your set serviced if something fails? What if you get a lemon?

I'd be up for saving $2000 on a Pioneer Elite 610HD (the local store lists it at ~$6750 and Crazy Eddie shows $4750). What does anyone else think?
I too am thinking of using Crazy Eddie. My thoughts are

that if you can save $2000 (plus state sales tax), even if

you did end up with a lemon, it may not take $2000 to get

it fixed without a warranty, if there is an authorized

PIONEER repair shop. I have posed this question on other

forums (regarding purchasing an RPTV from the net) and have

not come across any real horror stories. If anyone in this

forum has any real bad experience, please let us know about it.

Sal Serafica

·
Registered
439 Posts
It really depends on the vendor and how much control they give to the service center. I worked service many moons ago. Basically, it comes down to "entitlement". That is, does the repair shop have the ability to send in a claim to the vendor with a serial number, or does the repair shop have to send in the proof of purchase ahead of time.

One tactic that might help relates to dated serial number stickers. If a receipt is not available many vendors will allow the service center to go by the date of manufacture on the product. It's a good tactic for draconian service policies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got my TW65X81 from them 1-1/2 years ago. Yes they are rude, but they will save you money. For what it's worth I also received my $200 rebate from Toshiba listing Crazy Eddie as the authorized dealer, although I'm sure their not authorized.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.